Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anonymous (Class ?)  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Anonymous (Class ?)
« on: November 10, 2013, 03:28:47 pm »
Has anyone seen one of these before?  Any thoughts?

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Anonymous (Class ?)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 06:58:08 pm »
The reverse appears to be a class "C" anonymous type, but the obverse portrait should be more of a "3/4 length" one than just the bust that appears on your coin.

BUT....it appears to me that some of the obverse design may have been revoved, which would account for the large blank area surrounding the figure.

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 12:42:58 am »
I have seen many coins of this type where the length of Christ's depiction varies a lot.
See following examples of a normal type and a bust type.

tk

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 04:57:56 am »
TK, I do not think your bottom coin is an official issue.  The jeweled cross has the wrong style.  For the Class C follis getting the icon of Christ Antiphonetes correct right was of particular significance.  By that time it was already a famous icon closely associated with the Empress.  The design on the Gospel Book in your second coin has the wrong ornamentation, and there is no hand raised in blessing.  You will note that none of the coins shown in DOC have anything less than a 3/4 length figure. 

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 06:14:45 am »
Quote from: Obryzum on November 12, 2013, 04:57:56 am
You will note that none of the coins shown in DOC have anything less than a 3/4 length figure. 

Dear Robert

As I said before, I have seen many different types of this coin.
The second coin I attached before may be unofficial, I cant be sure.
Look this one.
Much better style, should be official edition, but is it 3/4?
As I see it, its neither 3/4 nor bust but something in between .....

tk

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:08:02 am »

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 12:22:24 am »
Here is another one that looks a lot more like a bust than what is supposed to be a three quarter figure.  This one is almost certainly an official issue. 

Regarding the first coin at the top of the thread, that coin has obviously been modified, and a new border was hammered in.  The new border is somewhat uneven and encroaches on Christ's halo in the original design.  Why would someone do that to the coin?  The coin is not unique in this regard.  A similar modified coin is in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection.  The coin does not appear in the plates in DOC, but the modification is noted in the list of Class C coins that are not pictured. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity