Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another "very last Roman Republican coin"  (Read 538 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Another "very last Roman Republican coin"
« on: November 09, 2013, 10:54:01 am »
I'm not sure that my head can cope with showing a second "very last coin of the Roman Republic" added to my collection within the same week, but this would be the very last coin in Crawford, had he listed the type: it is an unpublished variety of Crawford RRC 550/3 that lacks the star before the head of Venus which this type should have. Of course it was minted long before 27BC or 31BC; most people think it is from Julius Caesar's time, a sister issue to the Clovius dupondius, but Crawford bizarrely places it in 88 BC for no very good reason.

Being unlisted in Crawford makes it a little interesting, but I've many coins unlisted in Crawford. Being the head-left type, Cr. 550/3 rather than the usual head right type Cr. 550/2 is what makes it extremely rare and interesting. Not the last coin of the Roman Republic but certainly the last coin in Crawford's sequence.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Another "very last Roman Republican coin"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:24:13 am »
Hi Andrew,

Congratulations on another extremely rare coin.

A few observations:

1) As soon as I looked at it, it struck me as being very similar to the Julius Caesar/Clovius dupondius. You immediately see the similarities. I have the Clovius coin. I purchased it a few years ago. That made your coin really jump out at me. At first, I thought that it was a photo of the Clovius coin.

2) I see a star (?) behind the head on the obverse, around the 5:00 position. Is it supposed to be on the other side of her head?

3) Is your coin over-struck? In some ways, it looks like one.

4) I also feel that it is from Julius Caesar's time. Where did Crawford get 88 BC from?

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Another "very last Roman Republican coin"
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:58:11 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 10, 2013, 10:24:13 am
Hi Andrew,

Congratulations on another extremely rare coin.

A few observations:

1) As soon as I looked at it, it struck me as being very similar to the Julius Caesar/Clovius dupondius. You immediately see the similarities. I have the Clovius coin. I purchased it a few years ago. That made your coin really jump out at me. At first, I thought that it was a photo of the Clovius coin.

2) I see a star (?) behind the head on the obverse, around the 5:00 position. Is it supposed to be on the other side of her head?

3) Is your coin over-struck? In some ways, it looks like one.

4) I also feel that it is from Julius Caesar's time. Where did Crawford get 88 BC from?

Meepzorp

Coincidentally, last week I was writing a catalogue note to the planned reissue, in book format, of the RBW collection, NAC 61/63 to be used as an inexpensive alternative to Crawford. Here is what I wrote about the Oppia bronzes:

There are evident similarities between these three Oppius types and the Cr. 476 Clovius types, 1667-1668 above. Crawford dissociates the types, considering titulature and symbolism, as well as metal quality (RRC pp. 574-578), with the Clovius having more zinc which should render it brighter and more corrosion resistant. I’ve seen many green-patinated bronze examples of Cr. 476 such as 1668 above, and also some bright yellow orichalcum examples of Cr. 550. I do not think that either issue was made to precise metal standards.  There are evident stylistic similarities between the types, both in overall design and in specifics such as treatment of hair; the compact lettering on the Oppius is similar to the obverse titles on the Clovius; weights are also very similar. There are some differences in morphology: the Oppius has convex reverse surfaces, as seen in the next two coins and in others I’ve handled; the Clovius was usually struck on flat edged blanks. Thus a physical examination shows many similarities, but also some differences. Several of the Oppius types have emerged from Italy in recent years, yet from no other source. This has decided me in favour of it being a Rome mint coin, and not from Asia, thus probably Caesarian. (A.McCabe)

Crawford went for an earlier period because (a) he thought the fabric / metal were different. I discuss that above (b) he thought the find spots were in Asia; I've seen a couple of recent examples from Italy (c) he thinks the inscription indicates an earlier date. I discuss (a) and (b) above. (c) is a matter I don't have views on, one way or another. The fabrics are a little different, but that doesn't stop them being struck in consecutive years with some variations, e.g. 46 BC and 45 BC.

postscript, I missed your comment on overstrike. Many Oppius bronzes have concave reverse surfaces made from striking with convex upper dies. This is a known technique. It often results in flat surfaces at the edge of the reverse field which can give the impression of something odd such as an overstrike effect. But I don't think it's an overstrike.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity