Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: To clean or not to clean - Ren Wax removal?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Mickey H

• Praetorian
To clean or not to clean - Ren Wax removal?
« on: October 31, 2013, 12:40:44 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a lot of cleaned/partially cleaned b byzantine coins. I am pretty sure they are all Ren Waxed, however I have several coins that I think I could get more detail out of. Would welcome anyones opinion on this coin and wheter to removed the wax and continue the cleaning? Also any thoughts on best way to remove the wax, I heard boiling or alcohol might be a good plan?

Thanks in advance for input

:)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Re: To clean or not to clean - Ren Wax removal?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 03:43:19 am »
Hi Mickey....

Acetone or nail polish remover on cotten wool will take away the wax easily....

As for continuing the cleaning.... if you feel you the brown infill will come away without damaging the patina... why not? ,but there is nothing wrong with the coin the way it is now though, so its down to your personal choice....  8)

Offline Mickey H

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 06:49:17 am »
Hi Lee,

Thanks for the advice, I think I will give the nail vanish remover a go as I am sure that there is more detail under this. I am also struggling to atrribute it at the moment as everything is so obscured and late Roman coins arent really my thing as my collection is mainly greek.

I have a stereo microscope so will probably use the nail vanish, then soak for a few days in dW and give it a shot.

Thanks for the tips, much appreicated.

Mickey

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:26:49 am »
If there is wax on the sand, the coin might look much more attractive with the wax removed and you may not want to clean it any further. Waxing a sandy coin makes even less sense than waxing generally does.
Andreas Reich

Offline Mickey H

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 08:04:02 am »
I don't usuall have any objections to waxing on coins with pure patinas but with this lot I can't help feel its clouds everything particualrily. I iwll have a hot and post the results.

Thanks

Mickey

Offline sfhmgusa

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 02:36:27 pm »
Hi there

I would try to clean a bit more, but if you prefer not I am pretty sure this is Maurice Tiberius (AD 582-602)  from Constantinople Regnal year 6

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 04:15:28 am »
My only question would be how does the sand underneath stand up to things like acetone or nail polish removal?

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 07:37:54 am »
If it's a genuine sand patina, it shouldn't be affected any more than any coin with a sandy patina is affected by a wet wipe, which most likely depends somewhat on how long it has been 'in circulation' after being unearthed. My experiences are somewhat limited but one coin I had looked dirty and  just generally unpleasant with detail hard o make out and it turned out that it had been waxed. After removal of the wax I had a beautiful coin that no one in their right mind would want to clean or wax.
Andreas Reich

Offline Mickey H

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 05:28:00 pm »
Hi there

I would try to clean a bit more, but if you prefer not I am pretty sure this is Maurice Tiberius (AD 582-602)  from Constantinople Regnal year 6

Arhh yes I think you are right, thanks for this! Now this really does put another dimension on things??? I had a pretty convincing ID, and I also am not 100% about how the nail vanish with react with anything. My head is telling me to leave it.. think I am going to wimp out and play it safe....

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 05:31:09 pm »
Acetone is perfectly safe. It may not remove it, if it's really a kind of varnish and you shouldn't breathe it in in large amounts or let too much get on your skin but it's not a dangerous chemical if handled carefully.
Andreas Reich

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 05:54:27 pm »
.... and should you be a smoker, it is highly recommended for your short term health, that you do not light up in the vicinity of an open container of acetone!

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 10:33:18 pm »
Hi all, one thing that everyone is overlooking. the Desert patina is a clay/sand mix and is very porous. If it has been waxed, anything you try and remove [read dissolve] it with will generally just move it deeper.  You can try straight hot water and a liquid detergent, but I don't think a soak of any kind will remove the wax. I think a very light scrubbing may be required, but that may also remove the sand. why not just leaveit?

Bruce61813
too many coins - too little time!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity