Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unusual standing Emperor with mint to ID?  (Read 979 times)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Unusual standing Emperor with mint to ID?
« on: October 26, 2013, 03:26:04 am »
Hi all;
I post this amazing standing Emperor AE 23x18 mm-5,3g-6h for Final ID.On Obv.we can read  in left field OHO [  ] name of the mint[Philippopolis? close to Diospolis but the letters are different...;the Rev.is very unsual too with NV in ex.Nothing in Sear,or MIB Syrian imitation section...or in NC 1996/Vol 156-A Seventh-cent Syrian Horad of Byzantine & imitative copper coins[T Goodwin..]
Thanks in advance for your help
Regards
Nassif

Manzikert

Re: Unusual standing Emperor with mint to ID?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 05:57:18 am »
Hi Nassif

Nothing in SICA volume 1 either I'm afraid.

If you flip the reverse image it looks much more like a normal Byzantine coin, year 14(?), third officina, with something like monogram 21 or 26 above. However, the mintmark now reads OVN which I can't make any more sense of.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 03:43:17 am »
Hi All;
Still looking for final ID ???
Regards
Nassif

Jonathan O

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 10:49:05 am »
Is it heavy? could it be a stamp or seal?

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 11:52:46 am »
Surely it's a coin:AE 23x18 mm-5,3g-6h
Regards
Nassif

All coins are guaranteed for eternity