Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Spelling Correction!  (Read 714 times)

Offline manpace

• Caesar
Ancient Spelling Correction!
« on: October 13, 2013, 12:45:19 am »
Found a Claudius Gothicus with the "DIVS AVG" spelled out as "DIIIIIIIIIIG".  But notice the lazy S.  Looks like after carving in all the I's, the engraver had to account for the missing letter, and rather than starting over with a new die, he carved loops in to connect the I's and make the S that you see.

Grammar Nazis are as old as civilization, apparently.

EDIT: When I examine at it up close, it looks like the I's came first and then the swoops.  But perhaps the engraver appreciated the clean, tidy line of IIIIIIIIII, and wanted his S to fit in stylistically.

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Ancient Spelling Correction!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 05:47:23 am »
This looks like what is referred to as a "barbarous imitative" and not an official product. The engravers were not literate and we see a lot of IIIIs on these.
Regards,
Martin

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:13:58 am »
Please always post pictures of the whole coin. A coin has two sides, this is half a coin.
Andreas Reich

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 02:54:33 pm »
This looks like what is referred to as a "barbarous imitative" and not an official product. The engravers were not literate and we see a lot of IIIIs on these.
Regards,
Martin

Definitely barbarous.  Seeing all the IIIII's is no surprise, but turning three of them into a lazy S is.  Suggests someone on the scene knew how to read, or at least appreciated the pleasing uniformity of III over the jangling dissonance of intelligible words but was still required to spell out the letters.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 03:13:39 pm »
It's a perfectly normal 'barb'. They didn't just use Is, some few got the legend right, on others it's complete gibberish and there are many that are in-between. Same with the portraits and reverse depictions. I don't think they cared much about how close they were to the original and some may have copied coins that were imitations to begin with.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity