Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hammered silver coin/token... 19mm  (Read 593 times)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Hammered silver coin/token... 19mm
« on: October 07, 2013, 02:18:23 pm »
Although WAY outside my area of interest, when I spotted this silver coin for less than the price of a small beer, I could not resist.... I have no bloody idea what it is though!!!  ???

ANy help much appreciated ;D!!!

Offline vs1969

• Consul
Re: Hammered silver coin/token... 19mm
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:53:05 pm »
A poltorak (3 polker) of Poland, seems to be from 1623 or 1625 (not very clear, the year is two figures on reverse to the top left and the top right of the internal circle). Bydgoszcz mint.
Krauze KM #41
Like this:

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:28:40 pm »
Excellent work!!!

Thank you very much for the help vs1969!!  +++ ;D +++

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:47:16 pm »
So the date looks like 23, but what do the other numbers mean? That makes the ruler Sigismund III Vasa correct?- Ryan
Ryan Collins, happy member of the Forvm.

Offline vs1969

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 05:38:11 pm »
Yes, it is definitely Sigismund III Vasa.

Regarding the numbers - as far as I know 3 on obverse means "3 polkers" where polker equals 1/2 of a grosz (so "poltorak" is actually 1 1/2 groszes which is apparent from its name: "poltora" in Slavic languages means "one and a half").  

24 on reverse denotes that this coin additionally is 1/24 of a thaler (so there are 36 groszes in a thaler).

Krauze is not very good in cataloging these (actually describing two varieties of poltoraks under two different names), polish catalogs (like Kopicki) are more consistent: there are groszes (2 polkers), poltoraks (3 polkers=1 1/2 groshes), trojaks (3 groszes), szostaks (6 groszes) etc. up to a thaler.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 08:54:26 pm »
The right side reverse reads SIGIS3DG.  The figure that looks like 3 indicates an abbreviation, DG for the Latin for "by the grace of God," so "Sigismund by grace of God," and then on the left side the continuation of his titles.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity