Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nabataean Numismatics  (Read 37204 times)

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
Re: Nabataean Numismatics
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2014, 01:44:34 pm »
My most recent acquisition is this exceedingly rare bronze of Obodas II. Jugate portraits of Obodas and Hagaru on obverse, eagle on reverse with inscription "Obodas the king, king of the Nabataeans, year 7" 5.35g.

Unfortunately the date on my coin is off-flan, but it appears to be a die match to Meshorer's plate coins. The few extant examples of this type are all dated RY7 (33/32 BC), so perhaps the coin was only struck for a year from one set of dies.

The obverse is mostly obliterated, but the reverse is much finer than Meshorer's plate coins. This is only the third example of the type that I've come across. If anyone knows of others, please let me know!

It is instructive to note that the eagle is the only animal that appears on any Nabataean coins. Perhaps this reflects a cultural prohibition against graven images?

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2014, 02:07:51 pm »
Thanks for showing!

Jochen

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2014, 05:23:58 pm »
I don't think they ever had a prohibition on images, or they wouldn't have minted coins with rulers on them.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2014, 09:28:42 pm »
I don't think they ever had a prohibition on images, or they wouldn't have minted coins with rulers on them.

Robert, there are two sources that discuss this issue...

Mettinger, T. N. D. 1995. No Graven Image? Israelite Aniconism in its Ancient Near Eastern Context. Stockholm.

Patrich, J. 1990. The Formation of Nabataean Art. Prohibition of Graven Images Among the Nabateans. Leiden.

I have neither, but intend to acquire them. From what I gather, the Nabataean prohibition against graven images was directed at representations of gods. Kings, and queens were apparently exempt, although it is curious that statuary of Nabataean monarchs does not exist. Perhaps they were exempt only on the coinage, which would make for a very interesting factoid.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2014, 04:50:31 pm »
That sounds interesting. Perhaps you could tell us more when you get hold of the books?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2014, 10:44:24 am »
In the mid-20's BC, Augustus sought to win some share in the operations of the Sabaeans, who had become quite wealthy by the exportation of spices and perfumes, primarily frankincense. The Nabataeans were recruited to assist Aelius Gallus in an expedition to Arabia Felix. This must have posed no small conundrum to the Nabataeans, as they had profited greatly from being the middlemen in the spice trade. Nevertheless, Sylleaus, Obodas II's vizier, accompanied the Romans as a guide. Strabo gives the account...

"He (Aelius Gallus) was, moreover, encouraged to undertake this enterprise by the expectation of assistance from the Nabataeans, who promised to cooperate with him in everything. Upon these inducements Gallus set out on the expedition. But he was deceived by Syllaeus, the king's minister of the Nabataeans, who had promised to be his guide on march, and to assist him in the execution of his design. Syllaeus was, however, treacherous throughout; for he neither guided them by a safe course by sea along the coast, nor by a safe road for the army as he promised, but exposed both fleet and the army to danger by directing them where there was no road, or the road was impracticable, where they were obliged to make long circuits, or to pass through tracts of country destitute of everything; he led the fleet along a rocky coast without harbors, or to places abounding with rocks concealed under water, or with shallows. In places of this description particularly, the flowing and ebbing of the tide did them the most harm." (Strabo XVI.iv.25ff)

Strabo goes on to describe the disastrous expedition in considerable detail, placing the blame for the Roman failure squarely on Sylleaus' shoulders. Strabo's account is frequently cited as the Gospel truth on the matter, but G. W. Bowersock offers another perspective...

"The geographer Strabo was a personal friend of the leader of the Arabian expedition, Aelius Gallus, and took care to leave a relatively detailed account of it. In Strabo’s view Augustus expected the expedition to be advantageous to the Romans, either by compelling the affluent Sabaeans to become Rome’s allies or by conquering their territory outright. But Gallus’ expedition turned out to be a terrible disaster; and Strabo, unwilling to pin the blame upon his friend and patron, found in the Nabataean minister of Obodas, Sylleaus, a suitable scapegoat. Sylleaus had served as a native guide for the Roman force, which he had led over a hard route to the outskirts of the capital of the Sabaeans. Strabo blames him not only for choosing a route which debilitated the Roman army but even for bringing the troops across from Egypt to the coastal port of Leuke Kome in the Ḥejāz. Yet it would certainly have been foolish, despite Strabo’s protestations, to have imported a Roman army into Petra and then to march overland through the wilderness of the Ḥismā into the inner Ḥejāz. Furthermore, there could have been no route to the capitol of the Sabaeans which would have passed through country familiar or tolerable to Roman soldiers. Later events in Nabataean history show that Sylleaus was unscrupulously ambitious and cruel. Strabo must have known this and found it convenient to see in this character a willful saboteur in the army of Aelius Gallus. But, for all that, there is nothing in what happened to suggest that Sylleaus actually played such a role." (Bowersock, G. W. 1983. Roman Arabia. Pp. 47-8.)

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Certainly the Nabataeans had no desire to lead Gallus to Arabia Felix, but it is also unlikely that they would have gone out of their way to make the Romans’ journey any easier. In fact, the real subterfuge in this matter probably consists of Sylleaus rolling out the red carpet, knowing full well that the Romans would not survive the walk. The Nabataeans were as well adapted to desert vicissitudes as Gallus and his men were not.

This new acquisition is of the same type that Jochen posted in Reply 36. I have, for a very long time, searched for an example of this coin with a bold, complete portrait of Obodas in archaic style. The search is over.

Nabataean Kingdom, Obodas II, Sylleaus, Aretas IV.
AE 16, 2.38g, 1h; Petra mint: 9 BC.
Obv.: Diademed head of Obodas II; in left field, Nabataean letter shin.
Rev. Crossed cornucopias; in left field, shin.
Reference: Meshorer 43 var., Schmitt-Korte 26.

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2014, 12:05:01 pm »
Congratulations on your fantastic portrait coin. That earthen patina is magnificent, and I don't think you could ask for better obverse centering!

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2014, 03:26:13 pm »
Quote from: Christopher H2 on November 27, 2014, 12:05:01 pm
Congratulations on your fantastic portrait coin. That earthen patina is magnificent, and I don't think you could ask for better obverse centering!

Thank you kindly!

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2014, 05:46:24 pm »
Now it's my turn to share a portrait coin--

I guess it's Meshorer 1 or 1A. The left field on the reverse is worn. I think I may see an A there, but I can't be sure.

Big and heavy at 18 mm and 3.84g!

Aretas II or III, Obodas I, Rabbel I... Uncertain, I suppose?

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2014, 08:31:32 am »
Hi Christopher. These are some of the earliest known Nabataean coins, imitating staters of Alexander III. The type was previously overstruck on demonetized Ptolemaic bronzes. I attribute these anonymous issues to the "Early Kings," four of which you've listed. They may have been minted throughout the early reign of Malichus I as well.

I've been developing a website dedicated to Nabataean numismatics. It is only a few months in progress, so there is a great deal missing, but the pages concerning these early issues are fairly complete. You can view them here...

http://www.nabataeannumismatics.com/earlykintro.html

Click through the next five pages for analyses of the different styles.

Cheers! John

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2014, 09:21:31 am »
Wow, fantastic website! Tons of information and some great analyses. So much knowledge. I've still got a few unattributed Nabataeans lying around - I know what my plans are for today!

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2014, 09:32:03 am »
Yes, well...if you don't find what you need at my site, post your coins in this thread. As I said, I've barely started working on it, and it doesn't yet include the coinage of Obodas II, Aretas IV, or Malichus II, which probably makes up 80% of Nabataean numismatics. At this point, my goal is to have the site complete within a year.

Nero 30

« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2015, 06:16:13 am »
John I took a quick look at your website and I am fascinated, it is really a very helpful toll for Nabataea coins attribution, congratulations and many respects for these efforts,I will send some of my Nabataea coins pictures that I have not seen in this thread nor website hoping they will be helpful !!!

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2015, 08:53:08 am »
Thank you Nero - I'm looking forward to your contribution.

Nero 30

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2015, 12:11:54 pm »
John here is the first one

Nero 30

« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2015, 12:19:15 pm »
Number 3

Nero 30

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2015, 12:54:10 pm »
The second coin

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2015, 12:27:46 pm »
Thank you for posting those, Nero. The first is a coin of Rabbel II. Although the king's name is obliterated on the reverse, the queen's name is quite clear: gimel-mem-lamedh-taw, or Gamilat. I discuss these types on the following page...

http://www.nabataeannumismatics.com/GamilatBronze.html

The second is a coin of Malichus II - you can see his name clearly spelled out on the top of the reverse: mem-lamedh-heth-waw.

The third coin is a minute bronze of Aretas IV. There are a great many variants of these coins - here is a handful from my collection.

Nero 30

« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2015, 12:36:41 pm »
Thanks John for the attributions this was very helpful, I will study the coins on your website as i am supposed to visit Jordan in the coming couple of months and i will try to find some interesting Nabatean coins there.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2015, 01:18:17 pm »
Quote from: Nero 30 on January 17, 2015, 12:36:41 pm
Thanks John for the attributions this was very helpful, I will study the coins on your website as i am supposed to visit Jordan in the coming couple of months and i will try to find some interesting Nabatean coins there.

Buyer beware.
 Article 24.
Subject to Article 23 hereof, no transport, export
or sale of movable antiquities outside the Kingdom
shall be permitted without the approval of
the Cabinet on the recommendation of the Minister
based on the commendation of the Director.

Penalty ..... not less than one year and not
more than three years imprisonment and a fine
not less than three thousand dinars, in proportion
to the value of the antiquities..........

Nero 30

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2015, 01:28:06 pm »
Did not know thanks a lot for informing me

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2015, 02:05:23 pm »
Just go next door to Israel. You'll find properly-licensed dealers that you can buy from legally.

Nero 30

« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2015, 02:06:50 pm »
I live there  :)

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2015, 03:20:21 pm »
Well then, שָׁלוֹם :laugh:

Nero 30

« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2015, 03:25:54 pm »