Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine I - GLORIA EXERCTVS  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Nikko

• Caesar
  • He was simply Great!
Constantine I - GLORIA EXERCTVS
« on: October 03, 2013, 01:34:54 pm »
Hello friends, could (or should) i try to improve this nice and uncommon coin?
Best regards,
Nicola
Scribendi recte sapere est principium et fons

hootsmccoy

Re: Constantine I - GLORIA EXERCTVS
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 02:56:27 pm »
Looks perfect!

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 03:07:40 pm »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

This coin is perfect.... Readable, attributable, wax it (again?) should you wish, but leave the coin alone..... love that paina.....

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 03:11:33 pm »
My opinion, on the other hand, is that the coin would look a lot nicer and sharper without all those light-colored deposits!
Curtis Clay

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 03:39:54 pm »
It depends on your abilities. A good cleaner could improve this coin a lot, a bad cleaner can ruin it. I would prefer the coin without the sand and certainly without wax smeared on top of it.
Andreas Reich

Offline Nikko

• Caesar
  • He was simply Great!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 04:05:49 pm »
I think that removing al the light deposits will be a really hard work, but of couse the coin would look nicer.....it has good details under the sand.
Well, first of all i will remove the deposits from the portrait.
Thanks!
Nicola
Scribendi recte sapere est principium et fons

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 07:20:03 pm »
Ave!

Sweet coin, Niks, and much to consider before you proceed with further, if any, cleaning.

Looks perfect!

My opinion, on the other hand, is that the coin would look a lot nicer and sharper without all those light-colored deposits!

God love you, Curtis, but you just got caught up in the whipsaw of how to clean and preserve a coin with desert patina. Most collectors appreciate the 'light-colored deposits', just for the beauty of the coin's sand/earthen fill. On the other hand, we both appreciate faultless intact patinas with zero dirt. So what to do...? Wax and flip or remove the sand fill in the open fields?

It depends on your abilities. A good cleaner could improve this coin a lot, a bad cleaner can ruin it. I would prefer the coin without the sand and certainly without wax smeared on top of it.

Andreas, I agree...in this case. ;-)

I think that removing all the light deposits will be a really hard work, but of course the coin would look nicer.....it has good details under the sand.
Well, first of all I will remove the deposits from the portrait.
Thanks!
Nicola

Good Luck!

Best,
Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Caesarea

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 05:00:46 am »
When cleaning any sand deposits ensure they are blown away as you clean because if not they will effectively sand the coin as you clean it and damage the patina.  Under running water or with a fan blowing would be my advice.  I would clean this coin further, especially on the reverse. The obverse portrait may be tricky especially on the cheek area which is quite flat, take care there.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity