Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: [Identified] Antiochos III Megas, HGC 9, 492  (Read 989 times)

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
[Identified] Antiochos III Megas, HGC 9, 492
« on: September 29, 2013, 11:52:01 am »
Greetings!
The legend is a clear "BASILEWS ANTIOXOY", and I thought it was Antiochos I Soter, but those of his coins that I have been able to find all have Nike sticking his hand through the legend, separating it into AN - TIOXOY.

I figured the monograms might help, but I don't have the experience. I was hoping that somebody might recognize them, saving me the work of wading through hundreds of pictures, fingers crossed for a match!

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Help with monograms (Seleucid, one of the Antiochos guys)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:29:21 pm »
One of them is not a monogram but an anchor.
Andreas Reich

cvem

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 01:03:43 pm »
Ancientimports has two similar coins as:-
Seleukid Kings of Syria Antiochos II AE18 / Anchor Countermark
Attribution: SNG Cop 118
Date: 261-246 BC
Obverse: Helmeted bust of Athena right
Reverse: Nike standing left, with anchor counterstamp
Size: 17.77 mm
Weight: 6.1 grams
http://www.ancientimports.com/cgi-bin/lotinfo.pl?id=16185
or
Wildwinjds
Antiochus III, 198 BC, Uncertain mint in Southern Coele, Syria, AE20. Head of Athena in crested helmet right / BASILEWS ANTIOCOU, Winged Nike standing right holding wreath and palm, Reversed anchor counterstamp in inner left field. Hoover Seleucid Coins 1095.2, SNG Spaer 245-247. Hoover 1095.2
http://wildwinds.com/coins/greece/seleucia/antiochos_III/t.html

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 03:02:38 pm »
Christopher H2, please post a photo of the obverse as well as the size and weight.
There are numerous Seleukid issues extremely similar to each other so we need to know as much as possible, especially when we deal with coins named under the numerous Antiochos kings.

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 07:08:43 pm »
Greetings,

The anchor is definitely not a countermark, but a part of the design. There is not even the slightest hint of the impression found around a countermark, such as that in the linked image on ancientimports.

The wildwinds image also has a deep square indentation around the anchor, but my coin only has the anchor at the same level as the rest of the design.

Here are better pictures:

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 01:33:30 am »
Antiochos III, HGC 9, 492.

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:05:53 am »
Thank you so much rover!

That issue does not appear to me on Wildwinds (they skip from SC 1090 to 1100), so I now understand why it was so difficult to find!

Antiochos the Great, huh? Cool! This is my first coin of this guy. I'll have to read more into his history now!

For now, thanks a lot for your help! I'll try to remember updating the thread with size and weight once I receive the coin from the seller, just for good custom's sake.

I want to mention how good of a deal I got, better check up on the rules, I remember there being some limits on price/value discussion.

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
Re: [Identified] Antiochos III Megas, HGC 9, 492
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 11:03:56 am »
Got it. It's even nicer in hand!

7.99g, 19-20 mm

Looks like there used to be a legend around the beaded border on the obverse, but I can't make it out. It's probably just word-pareidolia, or perhaps it was overstruck.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity