Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help identifying a 1627 Cast Lead Medallion - 71mm - Weighs 228g  (Read 295 times)

Daniel v2

Hi,

Need help identifying a large religious cast lead medallion I bought - It is dated 1627 and signed by Anton Meisbusch.

The coin measures 71mm across and weighs 228g. I have tried to research, but cannot find anything.

Can anyone help please

regards

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Need help identifying a 1627 Cast Lead Medallion - 71mm - Weighs 228g
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 08:09:38 am »
I know nothing about these but a Google search suggests that the name may be Anton Meybusch. 1627 may not be the date of manufacture, since he was still active in the 1680s or maybe that was his son.

from an online numismatic dictionary:

MEYBUSCH, Anton

Anton MEYBUSCH (Born 1640, died 1701) was a Danish engraver who worked from 1667 to 1676 in Copenhagen and Stockholm and from 1684 to 1690 in Paris as a medalist. He spent his last years in Copenhagen, where he cut some nice coin dies for Christian V.

Maybe there's even a grandson, since I found medals by A. Meybusch from 1730. Anyway, this should help in your research.
Andreas Reich

Daniel v2

Re: Need help identifying a 1627 Cast Lead Medallion - 71mm - Weighs 228g
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 08:13:29 am »
Very helpful - Thanks!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity