Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID Halp. Maybe this Poseidon?  (Read 820 times)

Offline mursik

• Consul
ID Halp. Maybe this Poseidon?
« on: September 22, 2013, 05:37:04 am »
Dear Sirs, I bought yesterday a coin and can not identify it.
Help please. I thought it was Iberia, but I have not found such.
There seems to be depicted stylized (symbolic) chariot of four horses with a rider.From the side of the neck depicts Zeus trident. Maybe this Poseidon - god of the sea? Thank you in advance for your help.

PS. Weight approximately 9 grams, 20/22 mm.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Re: ID Halp. Maybe this Poseidon?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 06:34:12 am »
Definitely  Poseidon . Look for hippocamps  ,not horses.
Imo not Spain but Italy or Greece.

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 07:06:11 am »
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=631842

Rx: Baal of Berytos, holding aphlaston in extended right hand, trident in left, in quadriga of hippocamps right;

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 08:29:57 am »

Hi Mursik,

Yes, definitely a Phoenician Berytos (Berytus) and can be found in George F. Hill Greek coins of Phoenicia, page 54.

Phoenicia, Berytos  1st century B.C

Obverse: Head of Poseidon (Baal-Berit) right, bearded, laureate, with trident behind neck, border of dots.

Reverse: Poseidon (Baal-Berit) left, in car drawn by four Hippocamps, his left hand holds tail of nearest, his right hand guides the team, above and across field, date and inscription, border of dots.

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sg/sg6022.html

Nice find.  +++

All the best
Arados

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 10:59:28 am »
thank  you.  Rare?

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 11:12:19 am »
thank  you.  Rare?

I would say yes, the only other coin i Could Find is in the British museum, it's omission from HGC10 strikes me has being odd. Could be something to do with rarity or just an oversite.

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 04:09:04 pm »
THANK you! So I have 3 copies of the famous? One was on the Ebay auction, the other in the British Museum. Perhaps there is anywhere in the collections or not found yet in the land of another instance. I bought my copy yesterday from the sale of a 100 year old coin collection. This coin seems to have found and taken to the collection after 1914 ..

Offline mursik

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 12:57:28 pm »
 Hi Arados, thanks for identifying. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity