Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ANTONINUS PIUS SESTERTIUS WHO IS THE REVERSE PERSONAGE ?  (Read 1140 times)

numismaticman

ANTONINUS PIUS SESTERTIUS WHO IS THE REVERSE PERSONAGE ?
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:50:43 am »
 I have just bought the Antonius Pius Sestertius in the attached photo . The reverse reads TR POT COS II ( or possibly III ) but have been unable to identify the personage depicted on the reverse or the items she is holding . Any help welcomed .

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: ANTONINUS PIUS SESTERTIUS WHO IS THE REVERSE PERSONAGE ?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:51:39 am »
The arm pose looks like Libertas from LIBERTAS COS IIII S-C of, for example, BMC-1962 struck during Pius' 18th Tribuniciate in 154 - 155.  If so then the purse held in her right hand is not visible.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

numismaticman

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 04:52:14 am »
  Hi Shawn , Thanks for your comment , I am really stumped on this one . The object in her right hand may be a purse but I favour a patera .
                   The object in her left is quite low down and seems to be just a long bar suspended from her left hand . The contrast does not show well in this photo but in fact extends almost to the edge of the coin . I may try to take a better photo of this area of the coin .

numismaticman

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 04:59:51 am »
  Another pic of the reverse

Offline ionutbd

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:05:54 am »
could be a standard...but is not visible in this immages...

numismaticman

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:59:40 am »
  Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think so . The examples with Concord holding standard on the reverse have legend CONCORDIA EXERCITUUM and do not look like this coin at all .

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 08:22:35 am »

numismaticman

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 09:02:40 am »
  Hello Pekka , hope you are well , many thanks , yes there are similarities . Perhaps what I can see as a long bar across the coin below her left hand is simply a die flaw and that is what is confusing me .

All coins are guaranteed for eternity