Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lopadusa(?) Islands off Sicily AE16 Crab / Greek Inscription(?)  (Read 714 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS

cf.  Lopadusa (Lampedusa), Islands off Sicily, AE16, cf. Calciati III p. 369, 3; SNG Cop 487;  Lindgren II, 29, 668; Crab / symbol of Tanit and caduceus, all within wreath.

The consignor has it attributed as the type above but this seems to have a Geek inscription SM... around a T (for Tanit?) on the reverse.  I don't see a caduceus or a wreath.

Any ideas? 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Taras

Re: Lopadusa(?) Islands off Sicily AE16 Crab / Greek Inscription(?)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:44:34 pm »
I made a search on all my books, including Calciati, but I can't find any reference for this coin.
I'd say it's not from Sicily (or Islands off, or North Africa), in this case the legend should be punic, not greek, and the symbol for Tanit is different from a greek T.
I posted the pic on the Italian forum, if any expert will identify it I'll upgrade this thread.
Regards
Nico

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:52:37 pm »
I suspect it may be from Lopadusa under Roman rule. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Taras

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 05:09:41 pm »
I suspect it may be from Lopadusa under Roman rule. 

If so, this specimen would be an absolute first.
We should better understand the legend on the rev, to make some more speculations.

Arthas

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 05:36:27 pm »
I don’t know what might be the real mint but I found some indications ; a specimen with this type was contained in the Colonel Leake's collection and was acquired by the University of Cambridge, Leake, Kings. p. 39. 7 (Commagene) the description of this coin is found in Imhoof- Blumer, Z.f.N. i (1874) pag.332 n.13, minted under Amyntas (39-25 a.C.)

regards, Giuseppe.

Taras

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 02:20:19 am »
Puzzle solved.
Great Giuseppe!
 +++

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 02:30:56 am »

WOW  Giuseppe your second post on the forum that is some amazing information you have posted. Congratulations as I suspect many of us have trawled the internet for a snippet of information about this coin WELL DONE   +++ +++

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 07:37:51 am »
That does appear to be it.  Thanks!  

Does anyone know of other examples? 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 10:51:11 am »
In the catalog now...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=65879q00.jpg&vpar=1284&zpg=77726&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/

RPC I, p. 536, notes that this crab type, struck in three denominations is traditionally attributed to Amyntas, King of Galatia, 39 - 25 B.C., but omits the coins from the catalog because, "It is hard to see that this is really a version of the king's name." RPC then discusses other possible attributions and dismisses them all. We agree Amyntas is surely wrong.

I have listed it as Anatolia, Unknown King, 2nd Century B.C. - 1st Century A.D.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity