Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Arab-Sasanian 1 for ID  (Read 879 times)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Arab-Sasanian 1 for ID
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:26:50 am »
Hi All;
I need your help to ID this Arab-Sasanian coin[1] 3,9g-9h-as i don't know old persian and don't have References
thanks for any help
Nassif

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
Re: Arab-Sasanian 1 for ID
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 02:54:54 pm »
Hello Nassif,

Perhaps this website will help you:

http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/islam/arab_sas/arabsasanian.html

I have used it once to identify my coin, it just took a little time..

David

Manzikert

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 04:36:11 pm »
Hi Nassif

This one is more of a problem: the issuer is identified by Walker as 'Abd al-'Aziz ibn 'Abdallah ibn Amir. The nearest coin in Walker is B. 32 on p.97 with the name 'Abd al-'Aziz ibn 'Abdallah. The only coin of an 'Abd al-'Aziz ibn 'Abdallah in SICA is of an 'Abd al-'Aziz ibn 'Abdallah ibn Khalid (SICA Vol.1 390) and this certainly seems to have a different second line to the name.

I'm pretty sure the date is 76 H, but the only date listed in SICA is 74 H, and in Walker with this name legend is 71 H, so I could be wrong.

The mint is TART (Tawwaj according to Album or 'Uncertain mint' according to Walker)

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 01:35:42 am »
Thanks Alan for your great help...You think it's a rare coin??
Very very grateful
Nassif

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 05:56:08 pm »
Hi Nassif,

SICA explains that the date on this coin (SICA 390) consists of the "numeral 4 followed by HFTAT".  So it doesn't fit in properly with the standard list of fully spelled-out dates.  To my eye the date looks more like 71. and Gaube (and his sources) may have seen it the same way, since he lists the coin as existing for this ruler and mint only for the year 71.  But I'm sure we can trust in the expertise of Album and Goodwin, and that the correct date is 74...

Which is accepted by Baldwin's in describing their specimen of the coin on mcsearch:

http://www.mcsearch.info/ext-record.html?id=37067

Again, a very interesting and unusual item, Nassif!

Jim

All coins are guaranteed for eternity