Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Coin Book Recommendations  (Read 4988 times)

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
Roman Coin Book Recommendations
« on: August 27, 2013, 06:47:12 pm »
I haven been working on developing a good Roman Coinage library rather than buying coins lately though some of these coin books are as expensive as the coins themselves.

I have managed to put together the following and open to other suggestions.

RIC I TO IX  do not think I need X at this point

MATTINGLY. BMC ROMAN, COMPLETE SET OF 6 VOLUMES

Sear Roman Coins ..Values I TO 4

SEABY Roman Silver coins 1 to 5

ERIC

ERIC II I actually like these books once you figure how to use it.

AORTA

Roman Imperial Coins their art and technique

Roman Republican Moneyers 81 to 64 B.C.E.

Dictionary of Roman Coin inscriptions

Reading and dating Roman Imperial Coins

Nero the coins of Rome Leoni trying to get the other volumes but currently being reprinted and not all are in English

Roman History from Coins by Michael Grant

A Dictionary of Roman Coins, Republican and Imperial Seth Williamson

Coinage in Roman imperial policy, 31 B.C.-A.D. 68,
Sutherland, C. H. V; Hardcover

A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins
Jones, John M.; Hardcover

The Handbook of Roman Imperial Coins: A Complete Guide to the History, Types and Values of Roman Imperial Coinage by David Van

Historical Roman Coins from the Earliest Times to the Reign of Augustus by Sir George Francis Hill - Ex Bruce R. Brace Library

Askew, Gilbert. The Coinage of Roman Britain. (1980 reprint) //

Grant, Michael. Roman Anniversary Issues. An Exploratory Study of the Numismatic and Medallic Commemoration of Anniversary Years, 49 B.C.-A.D. 375. (1977 reprint)

// Jacob, Kenneth. Coins and Christianity. (1985 reprint ) //

Sydenham, E.A. Historical References to Coins of the Roman Empire. (1968 reprint) //

Sydenham, Edward A. The Coinage of Nero. (1982 reprint

Ancient Coin collecting I to V bought years ago

I would really like Crawfords but thats expensive

Any other suggestions ?

Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
Re: Roman Coin Book Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 11:06:03 pm »
The History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators 49-27 B.C. by David Sear

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 11:15:18 pm »
I heartily recommend Kenneth Harl's Coinage in the Roman Economy. A very fascinating book!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 04:50:36 am »
Doubtless Adrian is aware of my Book Review webpages, which can be found here: (each link goes to a different themed set of reviews about ancient coin books), given that his choices already reflect a lot of knowledge!

http://andrewmccabe.ancients.info/#books

I fully endorse the two recommended additions by David Atherton (Harl) and by Carthago (Sear HCRI), both best in class books. I understand that Crawford is expensive but here are alternatives:

H.A. Seaby's Roman Silver Coins volume 1 (1978 Sear-edited version) is the beggarman's choice when Crawford cannot be afforded. It has his dating, and it has all the potted historical discussions in very abbreviated format. Already in Adrian's library. If Crawford is permanently off the radar due to its high cost (about $450 I think), then you could do worse than to pick up a Durst reprint of Sydenham's 1952 catalogue, which you can get for about $30. The early dating is wrong, but with RSC1 in hand you have a correction for that. Other less expensive alternatives to Crawford include the British Museum catalogue (1910, reprinted 1970) of Roman Republican Coins by Grueber for about $200. The BM catalogue has got a wealth of historical details that are missing from Crawford, as Crawford expected you to have both. So if interested in history, that may be a better book. I've already said on this list many times that I do not have a good opinion of Michael Harlan's two books - entertaining, apparently informative, but fundamentally wrong when it comes to dates and numismatic methodology. Don't under any circumstances buy the German handbooks by Rainer Albert despite their Crawford-type arrangement: almost 100 of the illustrated 'coins' are fakes (!!!!) or tooled so bad as to be faked or were wrongly identified. Another better choice is Catalli's Italian language La Monetazione Romana Repubblicana. Although Catalli still believes in Plinian dates (i.e. that the denarius started in 269BC), he has been gracious enough in this book to present all the Crawford information and dates too. Finally, the best illustrated alternative to Crawford is perhaps the cheapest - the NAC catalogues of the RBW collection, NAC61 and NAC63, which illustrate just about every Roman Republican coin type. You might pick up the pair for $50 or so. A corrected version in book format of NAC61/63, and organised by Crawford's sequence, is also under preparation. Once that comes out it will be a true low cost alternative.

Andrew

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 07:23:13 am »
Thanks all and thanks Andrew I was not aware of the page you referred too.

How about this one but takes some room I just missed a complete collection but its not in English but here it referenced here often

Banti-Simonetti CNR

Banti, A. and L. Simonetti. Corpus Nummorum Romanorum. 18 Vols. (Firenze, 1972-1979).

Here is another

ROMAN COINS, by J.P.C. Kent. Revised Edition 1978 Thoughts

I was looking for a section on Forum that dealt specifically with book recommendations but could not find one.

I would love Crawfords at $400 the only volumes I can find are in the $800 to $900 range but I appreciate the alternatives
I will work on getting those.

I was trying to find the history behind a specific coin I am tracking but could find nothing as to the history in RIC but was able to find it
one of Sears Roman Coins volumes which was a little surprising.Which indicates the more books you have the better.

I love books so its my plan to have one of the best personal libraries on Roman coins possible though the wife might not like them over taking
the office and they keep pushing out my volumes on ancient and British history which might end up in a yard sale or Goodwill as I do not have room for all.

Then my Titanic collection will follow, which is more personal as my Great Great Grandfather went down with the ship.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:41:28 am »
I thought I saw Sydenham's work on Republicans on your list but I see it wasn't the case on closer inspection.  I've got an original that my dad gave me as it was his major reference in the 1960's.  I know that some of the information has been updated with more recent works such as Crawford, but I like it.  It's also has what is still considered a fairly accurate rarity rating for all of the coins (though some have been blown out of the water such as the hoard find of Lentulus Spinther Cassius denarii).  Lots of plates too.

I have to tell you I really do not enjoy using Crawford and I don't think you're going to miss it for the price unless you are a real student of the issues.  It's multiple books so you have to refer back and forth and I find the academic layout of it confusing and, well, simply unpleasant.  It's probably because I'm a product of American public schools and I can't read well.  Regardless, my go-to books for Republican and Imperatorial coins are Sydenham and Sear

Maybe someday when I'm retired I'll have the time and patience to tackle Crawford.  Today isn't it. 

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 10:07:30 am »
I recommend Dennis Kroh's "Ancient Coin Reference Reviews". It is a softcover review of many of the popular ancient numismatic references (circa 1993), and is generally available for under $30.  Of course it does not cover newer works, but I have found it very useful in building a quality library. Also, it covers a broader scope than Andrew's very helpful webpages.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 04:20:04 pm »
I looked at what Joe has and I had most of what he had I have already, I was trying to buy his RIC volumes the ones I was missing but he cannot find them hahahahahaha

I will look at Andrews page and work through those.

I did find The History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators 49-27 B.C. by David Sear both volumes for under 200

Adrian

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 05:58:53 pm »
I looked at what Joe has and I had most of what he had I have already, I was trying to buy his RIC volumes the ones I was missing but he cannot find them hahahahahaha

I will look at Andrews page and work through those.

I did find The History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators 49-27 B.C. by David Sear both volumes for under 200

Adrian

Just to be clear, The History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators 49-27 B.C is a single volume work (no 'both volumes') and is typically a lot more modestly priced.

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 10:06:30 pm »
There does appear to be 2 volumes in this series and  I did find it for around $100

Coinage and History of the Roman Empire, C. 82 B.C.--A.D. 480 by David L Vagi

This is a 2 Volume Set.  Book 2 - The Coinage, is included

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:13:09 pm »
Just realized I am looking for the Sear not Vagi volume

Any thoughts on the Vagi one which cover  later periods

Though with what I have bought lately will have to stand for a while
Adrian

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 05:20:32 pm »
Vagi is too big and heavy for taking on holiday, and not comprehensive enough for much else, with the sole exception of the Festival of Isis coinage. This is missed out by RIC, and he covers it pretty thoroughly. Volume 1, which deals with history,. is a useful quick reference.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 05:32:16 pm »
Thanks I will add it to the wants list I just bought 37 CNG catalogs for future reference

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 05:27:09 am »
Quote from: carthago on August 28, 2013, 09:41:28 am

I have to tell you I really do not enjoy using Crawford and I don't think you're going to miss it for the price unless you are a real student of the issues.  It's multiple books so you have to refer back and forth and I find the academic layout of it confusing and, well, simply unpleasant.  It's probably because I'm a product of American public schools and I can't read well.  Regardless, my go-to books for Republican and Imperatorial coins are Sydenham and Sear

So, I need to respond to this comment. I can't alter carthago's opinion based on his current experience, but I can add some information that will perhaps help get more value from coin books.

A few starting facts about other books:

- Crawford's RRC doesn't give a general historical overview of the coinage, but such an historical overview is given in Crawford's later Coinage and Money under the Roman Republic, published 1985, which discusses each period of the coinage, illustrates typical coins, and discusses each region of the mediterranean

- The British Museum catalogue (BMCRR, Grueber) has more coverage of the old historical stories than Crawford. It isn't that Crawford didn't know these stories - he in fact encouraged the BM to reprint the book in 1970. It's that he didn't think it worthwhile to waste space repeating old stories that were already well covered in other books

- Sydenham, whilst giving a decent listing of the Republican coins, is completely out-dated as regards arrangement, dating, periods, logic etc. and as it also has no discussion of historical stories, it's really of no value at all anymore, except for the purpose of having an inexpensive book that lists all the types in a lot of detail, and also that the original 1952 printing has nice plates.

What about Crawford? It's apparently a tough book to start with, but if you understand its arrangement it becomes quickly very convenient.

The main catalogue (pages 131-546) has a consistent layout for each series.

In the first line, it gives reference to other books (B. = Babelon, S. = Sydenham, RE = Pauly's german language encyplopaedia for information about the person/family, Bf. = Bahrfeldt's discussions on Roman coinage in 3 volumes, 1897-1918).

It also says "see above" and sometimes "below".
"see above" gives the page number where the dating of the issue is discussed on pages 3-102
"below" gives the page number where forgeries or mis-read coins are discussed on pages 546-566.
The reason that the dating is discussed on a different page is because dating is usually discussed for groups of coins at the one time. So it saves a lot of space to refer to a single dating discussion.

Once you realise what "see above" and "see below" refer to, it becomes a lot easier.

Each coin has a full description. It also refers to a single example of an actual coin of this type. So when it says e.g. BMCRR Rome 926, that means that number 926 in the British Museum catalogue is this actual coin. Crawford's default reference is to the British Museum catalogue, so if you have that too (as I recommend) you've also got access to usually more historical notes.

Below the coin listings there is then a specific discussion of the issue, usually with a focus on the history of the moneyer or of the coin type. Crawford discusses the types only where he has something interesting to say and add to what BMCRR (Grueber) and many others have said.

The advantage of this format, is that you have access to an incredible amount of information in a very short listing. Sydenham doesn't have even a small fraction of the sheer information value that Crawford has in his catalogue issues. Yes, the "above" and "below" references take a bit of getting used to, but once you've used them a few times, you get used to flicking back to see the dating logic discussion, and being prepared to open BMCRR for extra historical notes. Sydenham doesn't have this information at all, not even by reference!

The first 100 pages of volume 1 is a systematic walk through the dating, decade by decade, supported by hoard tables that show which coins are found in hoards before which other coins. There is nothing complex about the discussion, it's commonsense. 'this comes before that because of absence from hoards of that, and this goes with the other because of the same engraving style". No rocket science. I tend to read and re-read and re-re-read pages 3 to 35 because those pages cover the second Punic war and the introduction of the denarius. Once you are used to his way of writing, you will find him thorough and correct, and never vague, and never contradictory. There is an immense amount if information packed into these first 100 pages.

Volume 2 has the plates, and also a series of essays on general subjects - for examples Minting Authority, Minting Techniques etc. You rarely refer to the text of volume 2, but it's nice to read the essays within every five years or so. The coins that illustrate the plates were carefully chosen to be typical of the series and era, for example his choice of bronzes shows typical prow designs and styles of a given era, hence helping guide you to the coinage of the entire era.

The main stumbling block with Crawford is the sheer density of information. But once you have a road-map and understand how the catalogue section works, it becomes easy and natural to use; in terms of information density, the sheer amount of knowledge within, or referred to, is staggering. There's probably 10 times as much information in Crawford as in Sydenham. It's worth working out how it works.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 05:36:58 am »
Sear Roman Coins ..Values I TO 4

SEABY Roman Silver coins 1 to 5

ERIC

ERIC II I actually like these books once you figure how to use it.

AORTA

Relating to my prior post on Crawford, though all fine books for what they are, I must mention that none of these summary catalogues have any original information whatsoever. They are condensed listings of work done by others e.g. in RIC, Crawford. Does it matter? I think it matters for collectors to understand that when they own all of Sear, Seaby, Eric etc., they've already spent many hundreds of dollars, yet still don't have even a single word of information that the writers themselves brought to the table. Such books are completely blank on evidence for who the moneyers were, or why we think an issues is dated like this, or why we should consider the design to mean x or y or z, or the historical or economic backgrounds. They may repeat in summary the conclusions of others, but they never explain the thought process, or the "why". I always want to know "why". As convenient listings of coins, all these books are fine (although I would say, why have more than 1, because they all repeat the exact same data in different formats) but you'll never really learn anything original from Sear, Seaby, Eric etc., yet still, in aggregate, they cost immense amounts of money. I want books that I can learn from. With the perhaps $600 that all these handbooks would cost new, one could buy a raggedy assed second hand reprint-edition of Crawford or BMCRR, as well as several volumes of RIC.

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 08:48:14 pm »
Agree.  Somewhere along our lives in collecting we need to decide if we want to know more than a catalog number and someone's wild guess at a value sometime in the past.  If not, we may be happy with the list summaries.  If so, we might be better off buying a few hundred carefully selected auction catalogs.  I can tell you the Sear, Crawford, RIC, BMC etc. numbers for most of my coins but what I can't tell you is how I am better off knowing those numbers.  If RIC were reissued as a single volume containing all the chapter headings and footnotes, it would be a book worth buying.  If it were reissued as a single volume with all the numbers but none of the good stuff, I would not buy it. 

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 10:07:05 pm »
I agree as its more than just collecting a series of RIC numbers but finding out the reason why they struck what they did.

I did take a look at Crawfords and though its something I would like to have I decided for what I am after at present its not really something I need though I will take Andrews advice on knowing how to read it when I get it.

Right know I am concentrating on coins that have a story behind them though in reality all coins do.

Thanks for the help.

At Andrews suggestion I did acquire a bunch of CNG catalogues I can add to my collection should be here on Tuesday.
Adrian

maximinvs

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 06:46:08 am »
I would also highly recommend Hendy's "Studies in the Byzantine Monetary Economy c.300-1450", 1985. Don't be put off by the title, it also covers the later Roman period from 300AD onwards.

Ian

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 12:55:08 pm »
As I continue to build my reference collection, I value the Numiswiki articles and the thoughts of others, as found in the discussion boards.

There was a thread started in 2012 by Joe on a set of “Basic References” for Greek coinage and for Roman, both a wiki and a database. The discussion was helpful, even if the proposed projects did not get fully realized.  

This thread goes deeper, sharing insights on the value-add of various references.  
My specific need was an opinion on Sydenham’s Coinage of the Roman Republic, a copy of which is at auction, for cheap. I’ll pass. I now have a new Crawford reprint, SRCV, Vagi, and RSC, and I will look for the e-book of BMCRR. I will hold out for a copy of Sear’s Imperators and will read (and re-read, and re-re-read) Crawford, with the helpful reader’s notes by Andrew McCabe at hand.

The thread may be old, but it’s gold.  ;)

Anaximander
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 03:10:32 pm »
I have been making copious notes on both Crawford's Roman Republican Coinage (RRC) and The Roman Imperial Coinage (RIC) series, with an eye to sharing my notes here, in FAC. 

This labor is the prelude to a complete recataloging and photographing of my Roman coin collection

You are welcome to have a look at the notes, below, on Crawford (RRC) and share your opinions here. 

Anaximander

Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity