Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Style Tetradrachm  (Read 454 times)

Offline Daniel T-bo

• Praetorian
New Style Tetradrachm
« on: August 24, 2013, 10:42:01 am »
I have been looking for my Tetradrachm on the internet, without sucess during some weeks now.
I have found some similiar but I would like to find some reference number to my coin and an estimate of the value and rarity/common would also be nice.

I read the following on the reverse AΘE  AMMΩNIOΣ KAΛΛIAS ΔIONΥΣ

Thanks for helping me.

4to2CentBCphilia

Re: New Style Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 10:57:44 am »
You will find plenty of them here.

http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?search=athens+owl+tetradrachm+torch&view_mode=0&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ol=1&sort=&c=&a=&l=

Easiest to search based on the icon in the field next to the owl. Yours is a torch.

I would say yours is VF at best and well below the low end of the prices you see here (off center and clipped reduces the price also)

These are ubiquitous as far as ancient Greek silver goes. Only the best of the best draw high prices.

Can't attest to authenticity. I will leave that to other, more knowledgeable folk.

BR

Mark

Offline Daniel T-bo

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 11:13:08 am »
I have been searching for the coin at acsearch but no sucess.
I found coins with AΘE  AMMΩNIOΣ KAΛΛIAS but not with the ΔIONΥΣ in the end.
Thanks Mark for your input.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 12:52:08 pm »
Thompson #47 118/7 BC

Obverse Thompson 583.

The reverse is not in the plates so it is not 583 a which is, but 583 b is not in the plates so seems the most likely where the amphora letter is unclear but likely to be A.

Dionysi is the 3rd magistrate that seems only to be associated with amphora month A, which it seems is on your coin also.

The second control below the amphora is  :GreeK_Sigma:  :Greek_Phi: and is known for the combination of magistrates and amphora letter and obverse.

Looks OK to me , nothing special for condition freaks but cute enough even for me.

The 2 torches symbol is most probably that Demeter, Persenophe and Hades thing of the Eleusian mysteries

Not an uncommon coin . A couple of hundred pounds or so.

Cic
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 01:01:25 pm »
Thompson #47 118/7 BC

Obverse Thompson 583.

The reverse is not in the plates so it is not 583 a which is, but 583 b is not in the plates so seems the most likely where the amphora letter is unclear but likely to be A.

Dionysi is the 3rd magistrate that seems only to be associated with amphora month A, which it seems is on your coin also.

The second control below the amphora is  :GreeK_Sigma:  :Greek_Phi: and is known for the combination of magistrates and amphora letter and obverse.

Looks OK to me , nothing special for condition freaks but cute enough even for me.

The 2 torches symbol is most probably that Demeter, Persenophe and Hades thing of the Eleusian mysteries

Not an uncommon coin . A couple of hundred pounds or so.

Cic

I was just about to suggest Dionysi as the magistrate. I believe there is and I at the end of the ΔIONΥΣ
 but you are quicker and more thorough

Offline Daniel T-bo

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 01:23:56 pm »
Thanks cicerokid for your help, nice collection you have.
I have check the coin in my microscope so I can confirm it´s an A on the amphora.
Is reference number Thompson 583a ?

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 01:47:30 pm »

No definitely not.

In Thompson there is an obverse 583 coin with Dionysi as 3rd magistrate with  :GreeK_Sigma: :Greek_Phi: 2nd control but the amphora letter is unreadable and not in the plates.

It is reasonable  that since Dionysi is only known for amphora letter A your coin is most probably
583b.

The ANS has all the plates which didn't make it into the reference, maybe they would confirm it ( or not!).

regards

Cic
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Daniel T-bo

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 01:56:45 pm »
Thanks again.
I have an A on the amphora.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity