Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two Faluses of Cambay (Khambat) State, c. 1870ish  (Read 909 times)

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
  • Assistant Junior Numismatist at Themis Numismatics
    • Themis Numismatics on Biddr
Two Faluses of Cambay (Khambat) State, c. 1870ish
« on: August 23, 2013, 10:31:23 am »
Interesting coins, very different flans, but the same coin!

I can only find the one falus denomination in the NGC free world coin catalog, so I am assuming that one was struck early (the large square one) and one was struck late (the small irregular one).

I imagine this is akin to the silver debasement of Roman coins going from a high silver content at first to a low silver content at the end of the emperor's reign each time currency is reformed.

Initially the coins are big and nice, but people hoard them, their values drop, and sooner or later the metal content has to drop to accommodate the lower value, and the craftsmanship worsens in order to increase production speed and accommodate the increased demand.

Another possibility is a denomination not in the catalog, but I doubt it.

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
Re: Two Faluses of Cambay (Khambat) State, c. 1870ish
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:32:58 am »
Oh wow, I am sorry. Will a moderator please move this to "Medieval, Islamic, and Crusader Coins"?

I must've misclicked!

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 02:35:25 pm »
Hello,

In Krause Publications Standard Catalog of World Coins, they have your falus as countermarked with Persian "shah" on irregular planchets but no weight.  It was coined by the nawab of Cambay (Khanbayat), Hussain Yafar Khan (1841-1880).  There are no other copper denominations listed.

David

Offline Christopher H2

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 08:09:18 pm »
I wonder if there is more information to be found in the books. There seems to be a legend on the reverse but I can't read it. I feel that at least a partial word or a couple of syllables are visible on the larger of my two coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity