Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown coin.. 24-26 mm .... 2 Guys and a cross???  (Read 523 times)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Unknown coin.. 24-26 mm .... 2 Guys and a cross???
« on: August 20, 2013, 03:55:37 pm »
Hi Guys,
     I have another Byzantine coin for you which I picked up in a mixed batch and my neighbor has fallen in love with, so I promised I would try and get it ID'd before I gave it her...   any help much appreciated..

Thanks as always!!

Lee S.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Unknown coin.. 24-26 mm .... 2 Guys and a cross???
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 04:53:15 pm »
Constantine X AE follis SB 1853

Obverse; +EMMANOVHA. Christ stg. facing on footstool, wearing nimbus cr., pallium and colobium and holding book of Gospels with both hands, in field to l., IC to r., XC
Reverse: + KWN T AK EVAK AVTO or similar, Eudocia on l., Constantine bearded on r., stg. faing holding cross between them labarum with cross on shaft resting on three steps each wearing crown and loros.
Date1056-1067 CE
Mint: Constantinople
Sear 1853 DO 8

a couple others here with some other Constantine X coins.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2965

cw

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Re: Unknown coin.. 24-26 mm .... 2 Guys and a cross???
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:40:47 am »
Thank you very much Wileyc...

While a little younger than my usual sphere of interest, there is something hauntingly beautiful about Byzantine coins....  +++ 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity