Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The first New Style tetradrachm : 164/3 BC  (Read 850 times)

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
The first New Style tetradrachm : 164/3 BC
« on: August 03, 2013, 10:17:24 am »
This is the coin type that started it all: Thompson #1.

All examples of Thompson number 1 have no border of dots on the obverse . Only one obverse type of the next type, "Kernos & Bakhos" does but all the rest have dots: similarly the case with the unique and perplexing "2 Palms" (Thompson #5), type which I wrote up in an earlier article both on Forum and on academia.edu.

Athena herself is the most beautiful rendition of the goddess on the whole of the New Style coinage, she is fresh and youthful and the artist has produced a masterpiece.  Miss Thompson favoured what she labelled obverse number 1 but I think mine, Thompson obverse 3, is the best!

Athena features an aegis, a feature of early catalogue types that intermittently appeared on the goddess Athena finishing on the "Rudder" type Thompson #7. ( See my Rudder (less),unique example not only do you get an aegis but another great un-typical portrait  of Athena too)

And finally there is another feature this time on Athena's neck-guard: a biga of horses. In what Margaret Thompson called Obverse 1 the biga is driven by a figure that is presumed to be Nike, it is clearer on the 2nd obverse type and has wings, whilst all of type obverse 3 only a driver-less biga is discernible.
The biga is presumed to be a signature of that one die artist and features,again intermittently, on some obverses up to Thompson #6 "Club" that Thompson also assigns as his work..

The reverse has all the features of a typical early New Style: No symbol and 2 simple (?) monograms.

The monograms are especially clear on my example but the resolution of the first is debatable, whilst the second-  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Theta: ,Ath.... is so common as to be un-resolvable with a known person.

The bonus of my coin is that it is a new reverse, Thompson noted only 4 known coins in 1961 with 3 obverse types and 4 reverses. Obverse 3 was known from 2 distinct reverses only one of which featured in Thompson's plates.
I acquired the second example plates thanks to Forum member djmacdo, that was published in 1926 in ZfN, and I was pleased to find it was not that either. ( confirmed by djmacdo).

I designate my coin Thompson 3c. Thus Thompson #1 catalogue now consists 5 coins of 3 obverses and 5 reverses. I have found no other examples so far in a search.

The owl is a beauty and is clearly rendered. It does not look awkward as common on most early New styles despite its legs being close together and looks to be in no danger of falling over. The amphora is of a good size, not small and cramped as others - a good perch for a nice owl, and the surrounding olive wreath is well executed and finished by a simple tie-knot.

The monograms are well cut and clear and the whole set-up of the reverse is well executed and balanced.

The coin is somewhat corroded but not enough to account for its low weight , but i think the coin was originally of a low weight. The example of Thompson 3b is desrcibed as oxydised ( but doesn't seem too bad from the ZfN plates), is 16.2gm  Thompson 3a is over 17gm, my coin is not a fouree and is obviously an genuine Athenian mint product. The die axis is 12 O'clock.

Enjoy,
Cic
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: The first New Style tetradrachm : 164/3 BC
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 10:19:25 am »

The other Thompson #1 obverse 3 plate in a photomontage with the ZfN plate and my coin
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

All coins are guaranteed for eternity