Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Genoa brass "coin weight"  (Read 2761 times)

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Genoa brass "coin weight"
« on: July 29, 2013, 09:26:56 pm »
Genoa, Italy. 34mm brass coin weight. 24.2g.
Obv: Tower of Jerusalem between 2 stars.
Rev: Crescent and star. 1755 counter-mark with ?

I'm not finding anything online for this coin. Any additional info would be much appreciated.

Charlie

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Genoa brass "coin weight"
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:34:04 am »
Hi Charlie,

Very interesting and strange. I am very interested in Genoese coins because my paternal grandparents came from Genoa.

I have a few observations:

1) I doubt if the structure on the obverse is the Tower of Jerusalem. It looks like the city gates of Genoa, which is sometimes referred to as "Genoese castle".

2) The object contained within the castle looks like a cross, which is a little different than the usual object (which resembles a "Y").

3) The figure in the countermark looks like the top half of a human (female?) body. It looks like she is holding a round object, like a patera or caduceus or ank.

4) The date in the countermark is throwing me off. The Genoese castle on the obverse only appears on Genoese coins up until the mid 1600s. In the second half of the 17th century, that castle was replaced by Mary holding Jesus. The date 1755 occurs a full 100 years after that switch. But (a) this is a "weight" and not a coin, and (b) it is a countermark, which means that it could have been applied any time after the weight was struck.

5) On Genoese coins, the castle is usually between 2 stars or 2 Jerusalem crosses. So, that is not unusual. Please refer to any Genoese scudo as proof.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 06:23:16 am »
Hi Charlie,

I thought of something else. The crescent and star on the reverse have me a bit confused. Usually, you see this on coins from the East, or on coins with some sort of Eastern/Arab influence. For example, look at the "Arab" coins minted in Sicily during the Middle Ages.

As you may know, during the Middle Ages, the Genoese Empire included islands off the coast of Turkey in the Aegean Sea (Chios, Rhodes, Lesbos, etc.). It also included Kaffa, which is the modern-day Crimean Peninsula. Many of these colonies were seized from the Venetians. Venice, and then Genoa, minted coins in these colonies. These Genoese colonies proved to be very beneficial to the Christian Europeans during the Crusades.

Perhaps your "weight" has some sort of connection to one of these Eastern colonies of the Genoese Empire. Or perhaps there is some sort of "Arab" connection, or even a Byzantine connection.

It is someting to think about.

Meepzorp

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 08:49:40 am »
Thanks for the info Meepzorp! Very helpful.  Crusader denari with Tower of Jerusalem is where I got that description. I was thinking the figure in the countermark looked Eastern/Arab also.  I'm hoping to have some more time this week-end for research.

Regards,
Charlie

rick2

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 09:22:04 am »
definitely a coin weight

i could suggest the 4 gold doppie which i think weigh around 24grams

alternatively i d look up the scudi stretti series

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 05:27:03 pm »

I checked and the 4 doppie ranges from around 26 to 28g.  Would this have been used to weigh one coin in particular or multiple coins?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity