Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: More Byzantine weights  (Read 1182 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
More Byzantine weights
« on: July 25, 2013, 01:17:32 pm »
Hi,

In addition to the three Byzantine coin weights that I recently posted on the Byzantine board (HERE), plus the two in my gallery, I've now picked up another five weights. Three are square nomisma weights, one pierced for a suspension loop, there is an unmarked square commercial one ounce (or six solidi), and then there is this one below.

It is a barrell or circular bronze weight, weighing in at a around 13.3 grammes so is a half ounce or twelve scripula grammata (three solidi). The weight is clearly marked IB (12) but what I find interesting is that the B is clearly formed from an L punched over an inverted , the sign for ounce or OVΓΓIA. The person manufacturing the weight obviously used a punch that was to hand to creatively form a letter B.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Basil

• Praetorian
Re: More Byzantine weights
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 02:20:14 pm »
Hi,
a well known and still very interesting specimen.
It shows the ambiguity of the Byzantine weights.
Without doubt, one piece at a half ounce = 13.3 g

Solution 1) IB = 12 scripulum = a half ounce
Solution 2)  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=wreath' target='_blank'>wreath</a>: or inverted :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=wreath' target='_blank'>wreath</a>: = 1 ounce in ligature with sign L
                   sign L stands for 1/2
                   I = 1
                   putting the signs together: 1 x halfounce
For more details see Pink, Karl:"Römische und byzantinische Gewichte in österreichhischen Sammlungen"

Basil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity