Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Request for Syracuse clarification: Ares sacrificing bull or ram  (Read 1048 times)

Offline laney

• Caesar
I have two coins like this example, both about 21 mm, 8 g.

I acquired them at different times and  ended up with two different IDs.  In one case, the reverse is Nike kneeling on and sacrificing a ram; in the other, it's a bull.

All the examples that are see are listed as SNG ANS 1087.  Yet the differ with regard to
1. the obverse being Athena vs Ares,
2. the rev. having a ram vs bull, and
3. the dates, usually being either 214-212 BC or 204-133 BC.

What is the correct description?  What does the source actually say?

Thanks much for any clarification.

Laney

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Request for Syracuse clarification: Ares sacrificing bull or ram
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 09:30:49 am »
HGC2 #1475 says: Ares in Attic helmet, bull.
Struck under Romans, late second - early first
centuries BC. (CNS II, no. 233)

Pekka K

Taras

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:18:04 am »
I have already observed on other occasions the unreliability of HGC, sometimes he seems to describe the coins he lists without even looking at them.
The helmet of Ares is corinthian, not attic. The animal on the rev is clearly a ram, also according Calciati (II.430.233).

Regards :)
Nico

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 06:54:41 pm »
Thank you Pekka K. and Taras,

The descriptions are all over the place, and it's good to know that my confusion is understandable, and not a sign of some organic problem.

Laney

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 05:45:41 am »
Hi laney,

I also had 2 of those coins at one time. And it was for the same reason that you had 2 of them. The dealer who sold me one of them screwed up the description. He described the reverse as "Nike" only. There was no mention of any animal. I ordered it from a catalog with a text description only. There was no photo. I didn't even realize that I had 2 of the same coin until some time (a year or 2 ?) later. So, I sold one of them.

The photo you posted is much nicer than either one of my 2 examples.

I agree with Taras. I think that the animal on the reverse is a ram, and not a bull.

Meepzorp

Offline laney

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 11:09:17 am »
I've re-labeled both in my gallery as ram, with a note that sometimes the sacrificee is called a bull.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity