Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rehousing collection  (Read 1018 times)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
Rehousing collection
« on: July 16, 2013, 02:08:55 pm »

Have you ever been to a supermarket where you know exactly where everything is only to go one day and find that they have done a mass reshuffle and you are unable to find anything.
 Well this has just happened with my coin collection I have needed to make room for my Dads coins and therefore I have moved some into new trays and some have stayed as is
 I just had no idea how well I knew my collection and just cannot get my head around the new arrangement.
 In fact it just makes me feel quite confused and I am now wondering whether it would be better to go back to my old system and house my Dads collection on its own. Such decisions...... has anyone else re- housed their collection and does it take long to readjust yourselves to it??

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Rehousing collection
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 02:41:42 pm »
Hi,

Just added an eigth cabinet the other month and put it in the middle. It took a good few days solid to get the collection so there was headroom in the trays for each reign. The pain is moving the felt disc (I keep the felt disc with the coin to try and avoid any un-necessary inadvertent bd contamination) and the card board ticket, rather than just moving the coin along.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 03:13:48 pm »
Helen:
What did your dad collect and does it fit in with your collecting interests?  How have you organized the combined collections?  There are many ways to organize a coin collection so that finding a specimen can be intuitive. If we know how your collection is currently organized, maybe we can make specific suggestions.

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:57:37 am »
Hi,

Just added an eigth cabinet the other month and put it in the middle. It took a good few days solid to get the collection so there was headroom in the trays for each reign. The pain is moving the felt disc (I keep the felt disc with the coin to try and avoid any un-necessary inadvertent bd contamination) and the card board ticket, rather than just moving the coin along.

Regards,

Mauseus

Struggling to think about the fact you have 8 cabinets. I have just fetched some more sticky discs to try and get myself into a better position on each tray.

Helen:
What did your dad collect and does it fit in with your collecting interests?  How have you organized the combined collections?  There are many ways to organize a coin collection so that finding a specimen can be intuitive. If we know how your collection is currently organized, maybe we can make specific suggestions.

Ok my Dad has some 4th century coins which I don't collect and some provincials that I do collect and some denarius which I do collect and then a few oddments. It is easier in a way or will be when I have the numbers catalogued and I can see where I am going. Just went into a panic situation when I couldn't find individual coins anymore.
I suppose it will be better in the end because before I had some split trays as I didn't have enough coins of one sort and now I can have a tray for each type so I have a silver tray a Greek tray I will now have a provincial tray and a tray with Sestertius As and Dupondius which may go into two trays. Writing it on here is making it easier to know where I am heading thanks for listening.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity