Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ramskold: "CONSTANTINE’S VICENNALIA AND THE DEATH OF CRISPUS"  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
I'd like to draw attention to an important paper on Constantinian coinage presented by the author, Lars Ramskold, at last year's Nis & Byzantium XI conference. The paper, "Constantine's Vicennalia and The Death of Crispus", is now available online at the following link:

http://www.ni.rs/byzantium/doc/zbornik11/HTML%20files/Zbornik-XI.htm (scoll 3/4 of the way down)

The paper adds considerable clarity to Constantine's vicennalial issues, and includes an important new division of the anepigraphic "tour" series at Rome into two distinct issues, the first of which includes Crispus, evidentially still alive at that point.

Ben

Offline Merinda

• Consul
Re: Ramskold: "CONSTANTINE’S VICENNALIA AND THE DEATH OF CRISPUS"
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 05:04:07 am »
Thanks very much Ben - not a resource I would likely have stumbled across!

Regards

Allan

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:17:04 pm »
Just noticed this thread and a what a fantastic paper on this subject. Well thought out and documented. I've been following Dr. Ramskold collecting for over a decade now and have read two other of his papers on this area. Can not wait for the completion of his reference. Judging from these it will be a groundbreaking work. I found it fascinating that the evidence suggests the gold issues at this time were from the imperial traveling mint and given mainly as donatives perhaps by the Emperor himself or a high ranking official.  Also, by a rare Rome issue of Crispus we can accurately pinpoint the month of his execution.  I won't spoil the paper by telling you in my comment.
Thank you Dr. Ramskold for making this available to us collectors and an equal thanks to Ben for posting it here  for us to read.
If you ever come across across an unlisted or very rare Rome issue of Constantine and his family, contact Lars Ramskold, especially before his book is published.

Offline J S

• Auxiliary
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 09:39:04 am »
Hi, I am trying in vain to get contact to Lars Ramskold. Can anybody point me in the right direction?  Thanks

All coins are guaranteed for eternity