Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: When Returning a Damaged Coin Should I Insure the Package?  (Read 979 times)

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
When Returning a Damaged Coin Should I Insure the Package?
« on: June 17, 2013, 07:23:28 pm »
I need to return a coin to a dealer and I need a learned opinion.

Last week I was the high bidder on a very nice Republican Denarius, which I won for under $100.00.  Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed when I received my winning lot in today’s US Mail.  Although the Dealer took much care in packaging my lot, the poor denarius was ‘shattered’ in shipping. :'(

Now the question; I’ve already contacted the dealer and they asked that I return the damaged coin.  When doing so, do I need to insure my package?  Although probably now the coin has little or no value, if it becomes lost in the US Mail, could this hinder the Dealer’s ability to collect on their insurance claim?

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: When Returning a Damaged Coin Should I Insure the Package?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 07:39:00 pm »
It's a gamble. If it gets lost or stolen in the postal system, you're out of luck if you don't insure it for what you paid for it.
Your call.
PeteB

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:39:40 pm »
Insure it for the amount you paid. The coin is basically your receipt for the money you spent on it.

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 07:53:05 pm »
Thanks Peter & David,

I’ll take your advice and insure my package.  By the way, I wasn’t trying to save my own money.  The Dealer e-mailed me earlier that they already mailed me a check to refund my bid, they also want to refund my shipping costs.

I am so impressed by the wonderful people in the Ancient Numismatic Community.  I’m still bummed about my poor dead denarius, but the way this fantastic dealer handled this unfortunate situation warms my heart.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 08:29:55 pm »
Bud:
Heart warming testimonial.
Sellers are indeed responsible for proper packaging of coins they ship.
PeteB

All coins are guaranteed for eternity