Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help Please identifying Roman Coin  (Read 324 times)

Doug L2

Help Please identifying Roman Coin
« on: June 10, 2013, 09:11:01 pm »
Hello Forum.
My wife inherited an old Roman coin
about 40 years ago.  Can anyone
identify/value the coin.

Thank you.
Doug & Pam Levack
Cocoa, Florida

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Help Please identifying Roman Coin
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 09:13:51 pm »
Welcome Doug.  It looks like a denarius of Nero.  Can you post a picture of the other side.  Maybe a bit more in focus too?  Try taking the picture in macro mode (usually a picture of a flower on your camera).

Doug L2

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:36:42 pm »
Hello Jay,
Here's a couple more photos of the coin in Macro
with my 9 year old Nikon.

Hope these photos help you out some.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:44:50 pm »
That's what I thought...you have a genuine ancient forgery!  It is supposed to be solid silver but you can see the copper core on your coin.  It is known as a fouree.  If it was genuine it would look like this:

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=662741

Nice piece!

Offline ickster

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:48:14 pm »
Doug,

While Jay has given a great link to a coin like yours, please don't think this is a $500 coin. Although specific values aren't discussed here, I can see that by 2 posts you are new to this and therefore the following info may be of value:

a. Ancient coins are not as valuable as one first thinks. Of course, there are exceptional coins out there commanding premium prices (like the example Jay linked), but your example doesn't fall into this category; and

b. An ancient forgery will not command as high a price (generally) as would an official issue.

With your example, I would treasure it as a keepsake, or use as a springboard into a new hobby.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity