Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What is your dream coin?  (Read 59217 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: What is your dream coin?
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2019, 06:50:25 am »
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what coin you would give anything for that you don't have in your collection but would dearly love to add. It could be a type or a specific coin.

Everyone has one...that one beauty that you just can't seem to ever have enough money for or is so rare that you may never come across it.

Mine is a tie between a Vespasian "Judaea Capta" sestertius (RIC 427) in VF+ or better condition or a Titus sestertius with the Flavian Amphitheater on the rev. The first choice is obtainable, the second just a dream.

What's yours?

Looking back on some of these old posts from a decade and a half ago, I cringe. I accidentally stumbled across this old forgotten one while searching for something else. 15 years later I can happily say one of my 'dream' coins was obtained within the last year. GALLERY LINK It may not be in 'VF+' condition, but it's close enough to be ticked off the list.

How many of you are still here? How many have acquired a 'dream' coin?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2019, 07:45:28 am »
Somehow I missed this thread in 2004, 2005, 2007, 2011, 2014.... ;D

My dream coin has changed over the years but right now it would have to be a Bar Kochba zuz stuck overtop of a Vespasian or Titus Judea Capta denarius.

Congrats on attaining one of your dream coins David!

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2019, 08:21:07 am »
Somehow I missed this thread in 2004, 2005, 2007, 2011, 2014.... ;D

My dream coin has changed over the years but right now it would have to be a Bar Kochba zuz stuck overtop of a Vespasian or Titus Judea Capta denarius.

Congrats on attaining one of your dream coins David!

Thanks Jay! And good luck on your hunt!

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2019, 02:46:04 pm »
David, et al,

A nice Judaea Capta sestertius is also one of my dream coins.  Unfortunately, so many of them have been "improved" in the past.  I am looking for a completely original one.  They are out there, it just takes patience, and a bit of good luck to find them.

Craig

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2019, 05:28:26 pm »
David, et al,

A nice Judaea Capta sestertius is also one of my dream coins.  Unfortunately, so many of them have been "improved" in the past.  I am looking for a completely original one.  They are out there, it just takes patience, and a bit of good luck to find them.

Craig

That's why the one I chose is in sub VF condition. It may not be a high grade example, but at least it isn't 'improved'!

Offline Stuart J

• Legionary
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2019, 12:18:30 pm »
Currently at the top of my list are a pair of CONCORD AVGVSTOR types of Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus in bronze EF, or a very high grade Antoninus Pius with Marcus Caesar reverse.

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2019, 08:14:26 pm »
My futile dream coin is an AR antoninianus of Silbannicus, which would complete my collection of men who ruled in Rome from the first triumvirate through the sacking in 410. Only two coins of this guy are known (https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=ERIC%20-%20SILBANNACUS). Heck, I'd even take a decent forgery that I could mark with a red dot to put in the coin cabinet.

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2019, 11:12:24 pm »
At the moment my dream coin is a Germania reverse Domitian denarius.

Offline suarez

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2019, 06:50:20 pm »
Believe it or not I actually owned that Silbannacus cast, photographed it and then sold it on ebay for like ten bucks. I commissioned it from the BM for the plates in my first book. After receiving this cast, along with a medallion of Priscus Attalus, I tried to order more from them because they were pretty cheap and useful but was told that that was it. They weren't making any more casts because nobody ordered them any more and small runs were not a cost effective use of their time (or something to that effect). Considering that the Silbannacus plaster probably pulled a few million atoms from the real deal during the impression I should have kept it instead of selling it for next to nothing ;- )

On another note, reading this thread for the first time I was fairly shocked to read Curtis Clay give an unequivocal statement that erotic spintriae were not used in brothels. Had it been most anyone else making that claim I would have ignored it but coming from Curtis I'd love to hear an explanation. I'm not sure if he's still active but perhaps someone else know or had this discussion with him. The way I see it, in the absence of corroborating evidence when all you have is a single source of data drawing to conclusions from that data is, of necessity, an exercise in speculation. I don't think I've ever seen him write off-handed comments so the conviction of his statement leaves me to think there is either new evidence or a very persuasive study that was relatively recently published. Again, would hope that someone found out more on this.

Lastly, apropos to this thread, coincidentally just yesterday I added to my collection this Regalianus, a proper dream coin I'd been lusting after for nearly 20 years!

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2019, 02:06:36 pm »
I have a fairly modest want.... A barbaric immitation with a readable immitation of a British mint mark....

( Or I'll settle for any old pre- 100 BC gold coin from Rodos... I'm not fussy !)   ;D

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2019, 08:45:34 pm »
Tacitus, AV Aureus, Siscia. 275-276 AD. IMP C M C L TACITVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust right / VIRTVS MILITVM, Tacitus on horseback right, holding spear. RIC 179v (bust type), Estiot 111.

Ossie R

« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2019, 04:08:35 am »
It's incredible. I'm just amazed how cool it is. Thank you very much for such info here

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2019, 12:02:24 pm »

Athens New Style tetradrachm Thompson issue 1.

Not totally impossible-that's the beauty, but don't tell the wife!

Merry Xmas and prosperous New Year and GOOD HUNTING!

Cicerokid

A lot has changed. I got the best Thompson #1 I have seen a few years later. I got a 2 Palms this year, got a very late post-Sullan last year and almost got all the political New Styles of the Rome-Pontic times. The missing tetradrachm is one that sold hammer price recently for E4400. Well above my finances so I make do with an AE type of Star between 2 crescents.
Basically I almost done now.
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

All coins are guaranteed for eternity