Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 09:02:47 am
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Forum (Moderator: Danny Jones)  |  Topic: What is your dream coin? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is your dream coin?  (Read 20404 times)
David Atherton
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

The meaning of life can be found in a coin.

« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2007, 08:59:35 pm »

Wow Awl!

That Geta portrait is exquisite. One of the best I've ever seen.

Thanks for putting another bee (if it doesn't vanish like the others) in my bonnet. lol

Cheers, David

My Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/2cgd8r
gallienus1
Caesar

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2007, 12:15:19 am »

Thanks for the info Pat, I'm going to try and cast my Alexander tet! I'l post the result (but only if it is recognizable!)

Regards,
Steve
Basemetal
Caesar

In Vino Veritas: There is Also Something in Beer

« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2007, 07:39:31 pm »

I just perused this thread and two things:
Mr. Clay's description of his youthful numismatic experiences was both moving and helped me understand the man.  My first  series of posting communications with him involved my (to him) questionable substitution of a person with perceived gender preference differences from the norm on the post a picture of you thread as an attempt at humor.   A great start yes?  Basemetal as an even more rank newbie than now manages in record time to p.o. one of the great experts in ancient coins
"There's a great future in Pez dispenser collecting for you Basemetal"
I feel we have progressed since then. I've even sent him a coin to attribute, which of course, he did.  I've been honored enough that he has since deigned to help in attribution on several coins I've posted.
His expertise is unmatched.  If Mr. Clay chimes in on a post about your coin, consider yourself privileged. If you don't like what he says, well, collecting ancient authentic coins is challenging.  Sucking up? Nope.  Sucking up implies some advantage to be gained.  My next request for attribution is as likely to have Mr. Clay saying:  Yes the coin is rated as rare, but in that condition, I suggest you give it to someone you don't like.". Not really. He'd never be that crude.
Anyway, my dream coin is as always a Flavian Amphitheatre coin of Titus. I saw one recently on an auction site. Some guy Warren-no last name had one for sale for $9.00.
Bruce

Pep
Magistratus Optima Lege VI
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2007, 08:48:34 pm »

A Solidus of Mezezius:

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Kevin  Smiley

rick fox
Caesar

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris

« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2007, 08:31:12 pm »

Mine is the unlisted Tacitus Binio

Obv: IMPCMCLTACITVSAVG - Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: ROMAEAETERNAE
Roma seated left, holding Victory on globe and spear.
Exe: SC - 275-276
(Siscia)

Iacta alea est  - 'The die has been cast' (Julius Caesar Jan 10, 49 BC Rubicon River, Italy)
commodus
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Deceased Member
Caesar

« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2007, 12:10:56 am »

Either an Eid Mar denarius of Brutus or a Flavian Amphitheater sestertius of Titus (or, prefereably, both!). I am fortunate to have obtained a few of my dream coins (i.e. XF Judaea Capta sestertius of Vespasian and a Circus Maximus sestertius of Trajan, albeit a very poor one), but alas, the Brutus Eid Mar and Titus Colosseum coins are out of reach...

Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)
Nico
Consul

« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2007, 01:19:16 am »

I have to agree with commodus.

For me also an EID MAR denarius and a Flavian Amphitheater sestertius, please Wink

Potator II
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Error communis facit jus

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2007, 09:42:15 am »

My dream coin is a feudal one : gold pistol of Francois II de Montpensier, a prince who ruled Dombes at the end of the 16th century. There is only one known (hope that it doesn't mean it is unique) sold in the 'vente Claouet" in 1993.

Closer is a tet of Geta struck in Laodicea (to go with my Septimius and Caracalla from same origin). The one with the big head. I missed some of them in different sales and auctions. I WILL get one someday

Potator

I'm glad to see this old thread back. Good occasion to look back at what I wrote
For the first of my dream coins, another specimen has been offered at an auction last year ; I've been outbid by far, but I know it's not unique, so I might be lucky sometime.
I've found the second one, last year too, and managed to be the winner. You can see it below. There is a scratch under the chin, otherwise it's a pleasant example. At least, I like it, so I'm a happy collector

Regards
Potator

Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2007, 10:10:53 am »

My ultimate would be this one http://www.homestead.com/bibleorigins*net/YahwehWheelCoin.html . A possible (in my view probable) Israelite image of God!

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
Abiel
Praetorian

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2007, 10:50:23 am »

All  Alexander the great imitation coins minted in molieha in the market  Grin

casata137ec
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...

« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2007, 09:16:03 am »

My (currently) most wanted coin is a decent condition COL NEM...I absolutlely love those coins!!! I had one in my sites (f-vf) a few months back but it was auctioned right on the heels of a wife imposed buying freeze and I could not pull the trigger for fears of having to use the coin as a pillow when I was booted from my house Wink !

Chris

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691
ROMA
Caesar

« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2007, 12:52:51 pm »

Take a pick...

Adversus solem ne loquitor
TRPOT
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2007, 04:40:51 pm »

My dream coin would probably be a nice EF Nero Dupondius or As with the reverse of him as Apollo playing the lyre. Being a musician, it appeals to me on that level. Not only that, but the coin dies of Nero are usually beautifully engraved.

An Eid Mar denarius etc. would be interesting, but I don't think I want to own a coin worth that much money. I certainly couldn't feel safe keeping it in my Chicago apartment, and having it locked up is no fun. I think if somebody gave me one, I'd sell it, pay off my credit cards, buy a new car, buy some more coins, and maybe a new guitar or two.
Jochen
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Homo sum nil humanum a me alienum puto.

« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2007, 04:49:20 pm »

One of my dream coins was a beautiful Lysimachos tetradrachm with the head of Alexander. And the best of it: this dream became true! Here is the coin!

Sometimes I wonder that such cruel and brute ruler like Lysimachos issued such wonderful coins!

Best regards

Arae Flaviae, Agri Decumates
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10672
Maffeo
Caesar

« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2007, 04:54:45 pm »

Good heavens, all these dreamy coins!
I'd be happy enough to get my paws on a Julian II bull for Aquileia  Grin

Propter quod unumquodque, et illud magis.
Ardatirion
Caesar

Veni, vidi, vomui.

« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2007, 05:49:08 pm »

One of my dream coins was a beautiful Lysimachos tetradrachm with the head of Alexander. And the best of it: this dream became true! Here is the coin!

Sometimes I wonder that such cruel and brute ruler like Lysimachos issued such wonderful coins!

When that coin was still in the catalog, I saved an image of it and made it my desktop background for a little while.  Grin Congratulations!

TRPOT
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2007, 08:46:43 pm »

That tet is gorgeous!

helvetica
Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia

« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2007, 06:05:03 pm »

My dream coin is either a superb New Style Tetradrachm with the exquisit, beautiful Athena and her owl or the Magnentius Fel Temp (fallen horseman type) which RIC claims to exist but which nobody has ever seen...
Failing those, a coin on which my hero Augustus is as clear and good-looking as he should be  tongue
ROMA
Caesar

« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2007, 03:33:54 am »

I posted a couple of my  favorite ancient coins(though there are others id probably take first if i really thought about it) but there are many beautiful coins from later periods that Id want just as much or more...

Adversus solem ne loquitor
yarlan
Praetorian

Tempus, quod frustura tredebatur, iterum non venit

« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2007, 08:25:29 am »

For now my dream coin is:
David Atherton
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

The meaning of life can be found in a coin.

« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2008, 02:47:54 am »

Reviving an old thread...

This apparently unique denarius is another dream coin of mine.

Previously this coin was assigned to the beginning of the reign in the BMCRE. The new RIC places it in 74 because it fits in more comfortably with the precious metal issues of that year.

RIC 689, Rome Mint, 74 AD
Obv - Head of Sol, facing.
Rev - Vespasian, std. l., with spear.

**Thanks to Mauseus for providing the image.**

Cheers, David

My Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/2cgd8r
gallienus1
Caesar

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst

« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2008, 05:46:47 am »

I love this thread. All those lovely little bits of history are a joy to look at. I’ve recently been reading about “Dark Ages” Britain and think I would rather like a gold penny of Offa, king of Mercia (757–796).

Steve
monty
Consul

did you say allectus?

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2008, 05:54:13 am »

Quote from: gallienus1 on March 22, 2008, 05:46:47 am
I love this thread. All those lovely little bits of history are a joy to look at. I’ve recently been reading about “Dark Ages” Britain and think I would rather like a gold penny of Offa, king of Mercia (757–796).

Steve

fantastic choice, if i rember rightly this coin is listed as unique, so we will have to take it in turns to keep it  Grin evil
4to2CentBCphilia
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2008, 11:20:44 am »

Best regards

Formerly the Property of a Mr AlexB............who has drifted towards English Hammered Coins.

I was wondering who bought it.

Mark

BTW I keep coming back to this coin as a favorite. But I will never own it.

Greek Coins
Ptolemaic Kings of Egypt, Ptolemy I Satrap circa 323-305

Stater, Alexandria circa 313-311,  AV 8.53 g.  Diademed head of Alexander r., wearing elephant skin headdress.  Rev. Prow r.  Jameson 999.  Gulbenkian 1071.  Svoronos 25 and pl. I, 23.
Of the highest rarity, only the fourth specimen known. Minor mark on cheek,
otherwise virtually as struck and almost Fdc

This gold stater, struck alongside bronze coins of 18mm and 15mm that bear a portrait of Ptolemy I and a prow, is one of the prizes of Ptolemaic coinage. Though it bears no inscription, it must have been issued by a Ptolemaic king – undoubtedly Ptolemy I because of its affinities with the Attic-weight Athena Promachus coinages struck in Alexandria from c. 314-310 B.C. (or, according to Lorber in the 2005 Numismatic Chronicle, slightly later). It may have been struck in 313 after Ptolemy acquired Cyprus, or perhaps in 312/1 as part of the combined effort of Ptolemy and Seleucus to eject Demetrius Poliorcetes from Gaza. Though this latter victory paved the road for Seleucus to recapture his former satrapy of Babylon, the results were fleeting for Ptolemy, who by the spring of 311 was forced out of the region by Demetrius.

Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2008, 01:38:11 pm »

I can just fancy having a few like this to drool over. The image is the result of a daring raid on the premises of a dealer who is very active here.

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Forum (Moderator: Danny Jones)  |  Topic: What is your dream coin? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop