Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Islamic, Samanid, Nuh I Ibn Nasr, Gold Dinar Attribution Help Please  (Read 6687 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS

This is what came with the coin:

Islamic, Samanid, Nuh I Ibn Nasr, 331 - 343 AH, 943-954 A.D.
Album 1454       
Gold dinar
Nishapur 340 AH

AL-MALEK AL-MU'AYED, AND ALSO CITING THE CALIPH AL-MUSTAKFI IN SPITE OF HIS DEPOSITION IN 334 AH WHICH NUH DID NOT RECOGNIZE

ex Stack's Bowers and Ponterio sale 172, part of lot 11859

While I do enjoy trying to attribute these myself, because I know so little about them and can't read Arabic, it will take me all day and I can't spare the time.  Any help with attribution, the inscriptions, date, mint, references, etc. will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,
Joe
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

bakkar

Hi Joe

This is Samanid AV dinar of Nuh II bin Nasr 331 - 343 AH, 943-954 A.D , mint of Nyshapur and dated AH 340

left image: outer margin : لله الأمر من قبل ومن بعد ويومئذ يفرح المؤمنون بنصر الله (Kor'anic verse)
           Inner margin :  بسم الله ضرب هذا الدينار بنيسابور سنة أربعين وثلثمائة
           in field  : لا اله الا الله وحده لا شريك له

Right image: margin: محمد رسول الله أرسله بالهدى ودين الحق ليظهره على الدين كله ولو كره   ( Kor'anic verse)المشركون

field  :                   لله
                        محمد رسول الله
                        المستكفي بالله
                        الملك المؤيد
                        نوح بن نصر

Reference:
G.Bernardi:Arabic Gold Coins,...Corpus,volume I,Trieste,2010,page 307,no.353Pj(S)
and Album: 1454

Hope this helps

H.Bakkar

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Thanks Bakker. 

I would like to know the English translation of the Arabic, if anyone has the time and ability.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

bakkar

Ok Joe,

Left image, in the outer border we have a Kor'anic verse of "The Romans"
in this verse Allah tells the believers a fact that the Romans are defeated but they will gain a victory against Persians in few years.

لله الأمر من قبل ومن بعد ويومئذ يفرح المؤمنون بنصر الله

Before and after these events (before the defeat of the Romans by the persians and after the defeats of the Persians by Romans)
The decissin of this matter is only by Allah
and on that day the believers (i.e.Muslims) will rejoice at the victory given by Allah to the Romans against Parthians

inner border : بسم الله ضرب هذا الدينار بنيسابور سنة أربعين وثلثمائة

In the name of Allah, this dinar is minted in Nyshapur year fourty and three hundred

In field: لا اله الا الله وحده لا شريك له

No God but Allah only and nobody is his partner in diety

Right image: Border محمد رسول الله أرسله بالهدى ودين الحق ليظهره على الدين كله ولو كره المشركون

Muhammad is the messenger of Allah, He sent him with guidance and the religion of truth (Islam) to make it victorious
over all other religions even though the "mushrikun" (polythesists, pagans, idolaters and disbelievers of the oneness of Allah and his messenger Muhammad) hate it.

In fiel : لله  (For Allah)

محمد رسول الله  (Muhammad is the messenger of Allah)
   المستكفي باللهal-Mustakfi billah ( The Abbasid Caliph's title)
الملك المؤيد The title of the Samanid king
نوح بن نصر  Nuh , son of Nasr (his name)

For full translation of the meanings of all Koran verses you can download it in PDF file at
www.islamhouse.com

Regards
H.Bakkar

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
GREAT!!! Thanks.  Very interesting.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

bakkar

You are welcome Joe,
I have to add that these coins of Nuh II are not rare.

H.Bakkar

All coins are guaranteed for eternity