Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: barbaric flans ?  (Read 1116 times)

Offline VonDrobac

• Consul
barbaric flans ?
« on: May 21, 2013, 04:19:01 pm »
hi all

to me this seems like barbaric flans, they are flat but cant say for sure which metal is until i clean it better, on some parts look like silver...Flans are around 20 mm. Is this usual way of making flans ?

VonDrobac
Let justice be done, though the world perish!

Laurentius

Re: barbaric flans ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:34:21 am »
Hi VonDrobac

Wow, i´ve heard about this "cast-method",  but i´ve never seen that.

they are flat but cant say for sure which metal is until i clean it better, on some parts look like silver

The silver tint is coming about of a mixture between bronze and lead. It´s a special feature of local
barbaric imitations.

The other and mostly method to stamp barbarians, as you know for sure, are the casted rods with cutted flans,
hammered and marked.

For example the other method:

best regards

Offline VonDrobac

• Consul
Re: barbaric flans ?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:33:26 pm »
Thank you for respond and showing  better pictures   :)

I did not know for that mixture with lead, interesting!

regards
Let justice be done, though the world perish!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity