Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Uncleaned Vetranio with the 'IN HOC SIGNO VICTOR ERIS reverse  (Read 794 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Ave!

As some of you may know, I've had quite a few uncleaned Roman coins pass through my hands over the last 20 years. Over all that time, this is the first Vetranio issue I've ever found. The photo of the coin is 'as received'; it was mixed in with a lot of 500 uncleaned coins from the Balkans.

Check out the photo below. Our best guess is that this coin is RIC 292? Difficult to be sure until all the dirt is removed.

I know how I would clean this coin, but would be happy for your thoughts. There are a few problematic minor cleaning conditions that may or may not need to be addressed. I confess that I can be a pedantic blowhard, so I'll leave all the cleaning/restoration details to others.  ;D

In this case I'll follow your advise and post after-cleaning pix.

Have fun!

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
Re: Uncleaned Vetranio with the 'IN HOC SIGNO VICTOR ERIS reverse
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 02:55:39 am »
 How wonderful to find such a coin I bet you couldn't believe your eyes so pleased for you   +++ So looking forward to seeing it when you have done your bit 

Offline Genio popvli romani

• Consul
  • ROMA CAPVT MVNDI REGIT ORBIS FRENA ROTVNDI
    • Constantinian coinage website
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 04:21:09 am »
 +++ It is RIC287 due to  :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=star' target='_blank'>star</a>: to right in obverse field. You should discover ●ΔSIS● as m.m. on reverse.

Edit : Here is the Potator's one https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-37200

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 07:07:00 am »
Surprised it is your first.  They are fairly common in north Balkan lots.

Yours is frustrating.  It has excellent detail.  Most I have seen are more worn.  However it has that nasty powdery sub-strata. 

I would be tempted to leave it mostly as is.  Attempt some very careful dirt removal with pin or scalpel but stop if it flakes.  And I would only do it dry - never let this baby touch the bathwater!!!

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity