Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: miniature lead oil lamp  (Read 2721 times)

Offline v-drome

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
miniature lead oil lamp
« on: April 29, 2013, 12:09:03 am »
Here is something unusual.  I was not sure if I should put in Oil Lamps or Antiquities.  I have looked in the usual places for images but have not found any parallel.  It reminds me of the miniature lead amphoras that sometimes turn up.  Comments are welcome.  Thanks, V-drome
BCC L3
Lead Oil Lamp
Hollow Cast Miniature
Central disc with facing portrait (Helios or Medusa?)
Remnants of handle. Though it seems that the lamp
could have been functional, there is no evidence of carbon
on the object, as far as I can tell.
38.5mm.x20.0mm.x10.0mm. weight: 16.10gm.

Offline RoryduPondius

• Consul
Re: miniature lead oil lamp
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 07:24:35 pm »
really cool odd item you got there ;D
I LOVE cleaning uncleaned ancients.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 09:58:17 am »
It was probably held by a statue. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Strobilus

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 03:48:35 pm »
Miniature ancient lamps in pottery, bronze, lead, glass, etc. do occur but are unusual. I suspect most were for votive purposes and not necessarily functional.

The image attached shows two miniature lamps offered by a London auction house two years ago. The lead lamp on the left is a similar size to your own (3.8 cm) and probably similar in date: 1st - 2nd century AD. IF original, the face on yours is likely to represent Medusa.

palimpsest

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 03:01:10 pm »
 You can find group of miniature lamps in Museum of Byzantine culture in Thessaloniki at display, I guess  those were some kind of votive objects.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity