Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My New Style "Roma" properly attributed  (Read 1247 times)

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
My New Style "Roma" properly attributed
« on: March 27, 2013, 01:05:22 pm »
I was never quite happy with my attribution of my "Roma" New Style. The reverse which is doubly overcut, H/Z on the amphora and STE/DA below stands out and is a complete die match for Thompson 1123.

I was never happy with the obverse though, but poor copying of the photographs in Thompson and the quality of the example coins in Thompson didn't help.

Looking around the following coin " Roma & Nike" just in case I could find it to be a obverse die transfer, I find it to be so. Sadly a known one.  In the "Roma & Nike" plates is a Roma obverse 1122 coupled with a "Roma & Nike "reverse with amphora date A. This coins obverse is in excellent condition and has copied well and shows a tell-tail die break below the locks of hair below the helm and the progression and erosion of other die flaw elements.

So my " Roma" is Obverse Thompson 1122 and the only catalogued example is mated with an untouched Zeta amphora date and a DI/AP control below.

My "Roma" reverse, whose previous untouched existance before overcutting is not recorded otherwise, is coupled with Thompson obverse 1123 and since only one example was known to Thompson of this obverse and this reverse combination it was given a single catalogue  reference as Thompson 1123.

My "Roma" thus is unique and is Thompson 1122/1123 !

Both "Roma" obverses are known to be paired with "Roma & Nike" alpha amphora reverses, but are paired only with Z and H/Z "Roma" reverses. No purely H amphora reverses are known for "Roma" probably showing that  month"H" was to be a very small minting and no new months were to follow so not worth a new reverse. And same with the obverses but they can be die transfered to the next new type issues.

See pics attached.

Cic
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: My New Style "Roma" properly attributed
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 01:06:45 pm »

My "Roma" and Thompson 1123 compared

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 01:11:45 pm »
The Obverse is Thompson 1122 on a "Roma & Nike" coin photoshopped with the my obverse.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 01:20:53 pm »
and finally a composite of obverse and reverses my coin, Obverse from   "Roma & Nike" Thompson 1122 and reverse from Thompson "Roma" 1123

All coins are guaranteed for eternity