Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: MARCUS AURELIUS - COMMODUS - PROVINCIAL? NEED HELP  (Read 606 times)

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
MARCUS AURELIUS - COMMODUS - PROVINCIAL? NEED HELP
« on: March 24, 2013, 11:53:41 am »
THERE ARE A FEW LETTERS THAT LOOK LIKE "AVG"  ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE OBVERSE AND "CRATIO" ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE OBVERSE.  I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS ON THE REVERSE.
ANY HELP PLEASE.

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
Re: MARCUS AURELIUS - COMMODUS - PROVINCIAL? NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:59:26 am »
COIN IS 22 MM IN DIA.
SORRY FOR NOT INCLUDING THIS INFO.

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 10:46:16 pm »
THE REVERSE CLEARLY HAS CONSECRATIO AROUND THE RIM.   THE ONLY ROMAN RULERS THAT I SEE THAT HAVE SIMILAR HAIR ARE LUCIUS VERSUS, MARCUS AURELIUS AND COMMODUS.  BUT THE BEARD STYLE IS SOME WHAT DIFFERENT IN THAT IS SEEMS BRADED IN A ROE.  I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON THIS ONE.
THANKS,   
NORM

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 01:19:31 am »
Hi Norman,

On the reverse, at lower left, there appears to be an altar. So, it is probably a human figure standing over an altar. The figure may be holding a patera over the altar.

Your guesses for the emperor on the obverse are probably correct. In other words, you have the right time period.

If it is 22mm, then it is probably an AE As.

Meepzorp

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:15:02 pm »
THANKS.  YOU ARE RIGHT I DID A LITTLE MORE CLEANING AND CAN NOW SEE THE FIGURE AND ALTAR.
I HOPE SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME MORE INFO ESPECIALLY THE EMPEROR.
ALWAYS APPRECIATE ANY HELP.  THANKS AGAIN.
NORM

Offline R. Smits

• Deceased Member
  • Consul
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:12:22 pm »
My guess on the hear and beard : Marcus Aurelius...
R. Smits

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:27:00 pm »
Reverse could be that of the CONSECRATIO As of Diva Faustina I, as picture below.

Obv. could be Marcus Aurelius as Caesar towards the end of the reign of A. Pius, probably what R. Smits was thinking of. See the sestertius below; similar portraits also appear on his middle bronzes.

22 mm is small for a middle bronze; we expect 25-6 mm.

If official, your coin could be an interesting mule, suggesting an exact date of late in Pius' reign for Faustina's CONSECRATIO As. If it's an ancient imitation, however, then it's just a counterfeit's random combination of dies based on prototypes of what could be quite different periods, so does not help with the chronology of the official coinage.
Curtis Clay

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:58:54 pm »
I appreciate your reply.  I have been seriously collecting for only  about a year so I am no expert but from what you have said I believe it to be an unofficial or counterfit coin as the reverse figures are nearly stick figures with an outline and no real relief.
At any rate it is an interesting coin that I am adding to my collection.
Thanks again for all the comments.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity