Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with Roman coin (it's killing me)  (Read 898 times)

corcorax

Help with Roman coin (it's killing me)
« on: March 23, 2013, 05:59:05 am »
Hello.

Please help with attributtion of this roman coin.
The legend is not readable, but it has quite visible portraite.
It's killing me that I can't attribute it (I really really tried and have a few versions, but...).

Weight - 10.7 g
Diameter - 27 mm

Since I'm not sure with the reverse - I've rotate it with 180degr:

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
Re: Help with Roman coin (it's killing me)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 06:35:01 am »

the reverse could be an altar i will have a look around
 There are quite a few letters on the obverse its just a matter of deciphering them
 VERY INTERESTING i am sure someone will come up with an answer i hope so   +++ +++

could be domitian i will be following this topic

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 07:18:00 am »

Yes, possibly Domitian. Saluti Augusti / Altar.
Is there ...VTI above the altar? Then RIC 305.

Pekka K

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 07:23:34 am »
Also looks like
of which their are a number of varieties

Nero. AD 54-68. Æ As  Bare head right, globe at point of bust / The Ara Pacis: ornamented altar enclosure with double door. RIC I 526.
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

corcorax

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 07:26:04 am »
Thanks!!
It's Domitian, now I'm sure.

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 07:31:59 am »
Maybe I'm wrong, but I read COS XI at 1-2, so possibly Domitian's RIC 385 or 418.

Kind regards

Alberto

Offline R. Smits

• Deceased Member
  • Consul
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 08:06:21 am »
I was thinking some Alexandrian AE drachm. I Cannot make out the S C, and on top of the temple are some small statues... Correct me if I'm wrong... Gonna check my Alexandria books...
R. Smits

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 08:48:14 am »
Quote from: R. Smits, Numismatist for Numismall on March 23, 2013, 08:06:21 am
I was thinking some Alexandrian AE drachm. I Cannot make out the S C, and on top of the temple are some small statues... Correct me if I'm wrong... Gonna check my Alexandria books...

I don't think so, since I own two examples of the Alexandrian drachm (RPC 2708 & 2728): the triumphal arch is  totally different. Let alone the flan, that doesn't look Alexandrian.

Kind regards

Alberto

Offline R. Smits

• Deceased Member
  • Consul
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 09:13:57 am »
I've checking some books to... The common type for Domitian is an arch, not a temple. But I had AE drachms, struck on a sesterce flan instead of the typical Alexandrian ones... But as I stated in my previous post, I dont see the Domitian AE as in it. The temple is too wide, no sign of S C and I believe to see some small figures on top of the temple. That's why I was thinking about an AE drachm...
Take a look at Dattari 1084, 1088 or Kampmann/Ganschow Trajan 27.205 for the type...
R. Smits

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 11:01:59 am »
Thanks!!
It's Domitian, now I'm sure.

Amazing analysis guys.  I can see a few stray letters above the portrait which seem to tie it firmly to Domitian, but my impression is that the portrait looks very different than what I'd expect for him.  Without the coin in hand, its hard to tell but that and the stuff going on above the altar on the reverse are probably just visual tricks from the corrosion.  Nice analysis and well done!   

;D 

corcorax

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 11:19:53 am »

Amazing analysis guys.  I can see a few stray letters above the portrait which seem to tie it firmly to Domitian, but my impression is that the portrait looks very different than what I'd expect for him.  Without the coin in hand, its hard to tell but that and the stuff going on above the altar on the reverse are probably just visual tricks from the corrosion.  Nice analysis and well done!   

;D 

Yep, thanks to all.
Having the coin in hand I can say that the portrait is very likely Domitian's.
And as FlaviusDomitianus stated before - it's more likely RIC 385:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity