Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Newbie alert Is this a siliqua?  (Read 520 times)

thoffman1

Newbie alert Is this a siliqua?
« on: March 05, 2013, 05:02:35 pm »
Hi -- I'm an enthusiastic newbie with roman coins. Got hooked after a trip to Rome.  I've been cleaning uncleaned coins (LOTS of them) and found this.  I think it's silver -- it won't hold a patina, seems to act the same as a modern silver plated quarter.  Anyway -- it's about 17-18 mm.  Is this a siliqua?  Can anyone tell me anything about this?  It looks like Constantine and minted in Thessalonica?  Thanks!  Value?

Offline R. Smits

• Deceased Member
  • Consul
Re: Newbie alert Is this a siliqua?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 05:50:31 pm »
Obv : CONSTANTINVS AVG. Laur. hd. r.
Rev : DN CONSTANTINI MAX AVG Laurel wreath around VOT XX
Small bronze (AE3), no silver siliqua...
R. Smits

thoffman1

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 05:56:56 pm »
Thanks so much for your help

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 05:59:47 pm »
You were right about the coin being Constantine I and from the Thessalonica mint (mintmark TSεVI).
Only it is not a Siliqua, but an AE Follis, rated Common.

Anyhow, a nice coin.

Best wishes,
Masis
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline Tony A

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:40:35 pm »
Have you visited the Cleaning Discussion section? I'm asking because the coin appears to be somewhat overcleaned with the patina stripped off, and that dminishes it's appeal and value for many collectors. (And new collectors tend to overclean.) Did you use a chemical cleaner? Another method? I'm not judging you, just interested in knowing how you cleaned it to the present state.

If you are cleaning a lot of coins, come join in the discussion. You may find some useful information there, and we're always open to any suggestions you have.

Best to all,

Tony

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 03:39:04 pm »
It's a very contrasty photo; I don't know whether you took it or not. If you did, you could try for more even lighting. I'm not sure we can tell what the patina's like from that shot; I once bought a coin which looked similar in the dealer's pic, and turned out to have a lovely dark green patina!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 06:28:37 pm »
I used to photograph my coins just like that - with directly reflecting light; colour disappears; contrast remains. For difficult coins with a 'blotchy' patina it will do fine, but for better quality coins we would like to see the irredescense of a good layer of patina.
Not a bad coin, but very common.

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity