Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: altar question  (Read 2114 times)

dapee

altar question
« on: March 03, 2004, 08:20:18 pm »
does anyone know this kind of altar design on a "VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP" of constantinus with a helmed bust (R)

jbaran

Re:altar question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 08:48:25 pm »
Here is the list of altars for Siscia from RIC VII

jbaran

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 08:52:07 pm »
Can you post a scan of the entire coin?

Offline cscoppa

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • It's off to the races!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 09:39:40 pm »
Look at helvetica's spread sheet and check out the altar tab.  I think you will find either 2d or 5f are close to what you discribed.

Chip
Chip

PECVNIAE IMPERARE OPORTET NON SERVIRE
Money should be mastered, not served.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=12

dapee

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 04:48:25 am »
the reverse is 100% the legend above. The obv "IMP CONSTAN.....PF AVG"
it is impossible to read the ex. I can see the head of 3 letters. It looks like the top of SIS "_._"

Code: [Select]
Look at helvetica's spread sheet and check out the altar tab.  I think you will find either 2d or 5f are close to what you discribed.

I was thinking of these 2 too. But they don't match with the bust (I think D6). ???

Offline cscoppa

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • It's off to the races!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 06:54:18 am »
With what you showed and said (although I question the PF being in the obverse legend), my best guess from helvetica's spread sheet would be:

IMP CONSTANTINVS PF AVG   D6   VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP   VOT PR   7a,c,i,h,j,k,l,m,n,q,r,s,t,u,x,y,bb,   on altar   ASIS dot         RIC VII Siscia 59   A, B, gamma, delta, epsilon   r3 r3 r2 r2 r2

I would guess that 7q is the altar and I have no idea about the officina.  You may not be able to do better than a guess with the coin you have.

Chip
Chip

PECVNIAE IMPERARE OPORTET NON SERVIRE
Money should be mastered, not served.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=12

dapee

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 09:05:15 am »
It could indeed be IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG. But the altar shows
.....  clearly five dots
 . .   clearly the left dot, vage right
 .    clear dot
 . .   clearly two dots
.....  clearly five dots
The bust is normaly D6 Right
and no idea what the ex could be

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 06:12:29 pm »
Hi dapee!

The list of jbaran is the exhaustive list of Siscia from RIC VII. But I think your altar don't fit to any picture of this list. So I did further research and found this:

1. The legend on your coin may be VICTORIAE LAETAE and least 5 more letters.
2. Looking a long time on your pic (with nearly closed eyes) it seems to me it could be  a St. Andrews cross, a bit faded!

Looking at other mints than Siscia I found Trier (Treveri). There in RIC VII p.224 is an Appendix: Irregular coins of the Victoriae laetae type.
In the list of these mostly barbarous coins is the following:

VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC, writing VOT R
obv. IMP CONSTA - NTI - NVS AVG, bust laureate, helmet, cuirassed, right
in exergue PTR (you can see only the most upper parts of these letters, but they fit, Jochen)
on altar cross of St. Andrew
semi-barbarous (CF) (I don't know what CF means, Jochen)

Reading this I for myself think the depiction looks a bit coarse, so this semi-barbarous attribution could be correct!

So, that's all! I'm very interested in further information!

Regards,
Jochen

dapee

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 04:04:51 pm »
Thanks Jochen for this information. Is there anyone else who could have some info on this, I (and also Jochen I believe) would be verry pleased.

Tx

All coins are guaranteed for eternity