Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nero Koinon Legend error  (Read 523 times)

Offline jgad

• Caesar
Nero Koinon Legend error
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:17:45 pm »
Just received this one.  

It is 25mm and 10.23 grams.

Appears to have two legend errors on the reverse.  Second “S” missing in SEBASTOS and a 90 degree shift of the Delta in MAKEDONWN.  Otherwise style looks good.   Anyone know of a die match or other similar type errors for this issue?

- Javier

Offline jgad

• Caesar
Re: Nero Koinon Legend error
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 12:19:18 pm »
I know that some provincial issues were minted in rome and shipped to the province of use.  Do we know if that is the case for this issue?  If so, this might explain this error (non greek engraver) or is this just the result of inattention to detail. 

Given that the design elements seem very well executed, could the work of engraving the legends have been assigned to a different engraver?

- Javier

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:36:09 pm »
No, that's clearly local production, not mint of Rome.

Apparently the engraver just left out the second Σ of ΣEBAΣTOΣ. Such things happened. No such error is recorded in AMNG, RPC, or Varbanov.

Certainly legends were generally engraved after the types, and quite possibly by a different engraver. Your coin doesn't prove different engravers, however: there is no reason that a competent engraver couldn't leave out a letter in the legend, making a mistake just as even the best of us do quite regularly!

I don't see thε shift in the Δ. I see an ordinary Δ, a little bit compressed and with one of the upward strokes extended beyond its meeting point with the other one.
Curtis Clay

Offline jgad

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 01:30:28 pm »
Thanks for your reply Mr. Clay. Good to know the error has not been recorded in AMNG, RPC or Varbanov...makes this coin just a bit more interesting I suppose.  

I do see clearly now that the delta is not at an angle.  The elongated line and spacing threw me off.  

- Javier

All coins are guaranteed for eternity