Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 3D the way forward  (Read 1379 times)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
3D the way forward
« on: February 18, 2013, 03:30:38 am »
 i wonder how long it will be before we will be viewing coins in 3D it is such a great way to see the coin as it really is
 i have read a tutorial on how to obtain the affect but think it may be a few years before i can grasp it hope you enjoy the link
this one only shows one side and the edge but i am sure it would be possible to flip the coin using photos and therefore see all three sides
i would just love to be able to have my coins like this in my gallery how neat would that be
http://www.gizmo1.co.uk/3dgraphics.html

THE CHALLENGE  WHO out of all our forum members will be the first one to get a coin up in 3D showing all three sides

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: 3D the way forward
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 06:37:54 am »
There are a few threads on this topic with rotatable pictures of coins. Better quality than this example. I'm afraid whoever posted it didn't choose a good name for the thread, so i can't find it. I think it was a Polish company. Probably affordable already for high-price coins.
Andreas Reich

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:00:30 am »
Drawing packages such as the one I use (Paintbox Pro), have animation facilities (it's animation you want, not 3D). But you need to take loads of pictures in a very controlled way.

The type of package mentioned by Helen is not suitable, because it is just 'rendering' a flat object i.e. a photo of the front of the coin only which is then rotated. The edge of the coin is not real, it has been created within the package.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 08:17:23 am »
Drawing packages such as the one I use (Paintbox Pro), have animation facilities (it's animation you want, not 3D). But you need to take loads of pictures in a very controlled way.

The type of package mentioned by Helen is not suitable, because it is just 'rendering' a flat object i.e. a photo of the front of the coin only which is then rotated. The edge of the coin is not real, it has been created within the package.

thankyou for that great piece of information i will look at animation 

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 12:58:05 am »
The problem with 3D in my estimation is that the relatively few workers in the field are split on which process to use and relatively few are interested in presenting images that can be viewed by those of other opinions.  I prefer the old parallel viewing system as used on 19th century stereo cards but as many people prefer cross eyed format which I can not view (my eyes are accustomed to looking at images the other way and revolt when I try to cross.  Of course there are anaglyph methods which give terrible color and modern methods as used on 3D TV's. 

My Byzantine, Nero and Probus are parallel view.  The Athens is a combination.  If you look at the two left images they are parallel but the two right images give cross eyed stereo. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity