Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Glass Finger Ring  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Russ

• Consul
Roman Glass Finger Ring
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:07:15 am »
Dear Friends,

Here is an unusual item, an ancient Roman glass finger ring, dating to the 1st century AD. It is in imitation of a metal ring with a gem set in a bezel; the shank is of purple glass, the bezel is of yellow glass and the "gem" is of orange glass. Cracks appear on either side of the bezel where it meets the shank. Many, if not most of these rings did not survive antiquity and I doubt if they were meant to do so.
     The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City has at least two, but both shanks are of amber glass (See: Acquisition Numbers 17.194.345 and 17.194.346).
     The British Museum has a lovely collection of glass rings, see Marshall, F.H. Catalogue of the Finger Rings Greek, Etruscan & Roman in the Departments of Antiquities British Museum, London, 1907 (re-printed 1968): pp. 229 to 234, Numbers 1561 to 1598.

Offline Barabus

• Consul
Re: Roman Glass Finger Ring
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:56:38 am »
 Simply amazing that this ring still exists! WOW
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 12:00:14 pm »
Russ that is amazing.  Congrats.

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 08:00:57 pm »
Hi Barabus and Jay,

Thanks for looking and your comments.

Russ

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:31:40 am »
Amazing is definitely the word.

I remember how shocked I was to learn that glass bracelets were popular in Rome and some other periods.  I did not know about rings

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity