Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Manuel I Hyperpyron -- Odd  (Read 636 times)

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Manuel I Hyperpyron -- Odd
« on: February 08, 2013, 09:00:15 am »
Here are two die-linked hyperpyra of Manuel I, both sold by reputable auction houses.  Note that one has a Patriarchal cross, which would support an attribution to the Constantinople mint.  The other has an ordinary cross, which would support an attribution to the Thessalonica mint

How can we account for the difference?  Is it just a striking irregularity so the top bar of the Patriarchal cross is not visible on thsecond coin?  Was the die at some point modified in antiqity?  Was the second coin modified at some point after striking?   Any thoughts?

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Manuel I Hyperpyron -- Odd
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:09:51 pm »
Might it be just a clogged/old die?  I seem to note a number less distinct strike characteristics on the lower coin.

cw

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Manuel I Hyperpyron -- Odd
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:16:43 pm »
wileyc,

That's the question I keep asking myself.  If it were a clogged/old die, it is amazing coincidence that this feature -- this key distinguishing feature -- is the only feature on the whole die that became clogged.  The the top, right, bottom and left all of the features are plainly visible.  That's what led me to wonder whether the change was intentional.  Perhaps they intentionally plugged the die during the course of its use?  But if so, why?  Just thinking out loud . . . .

All coins are guaranteed for eternity