Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "Coin Hoards and Treasure Finds" July 2013 in York, UK  (Read 3762 times)

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
"Coin Hoards and Treasure Finds" July 2013 in York, UK
« on: February 03, 2013, 07:21:30 am »
"Coin Hoards and Treasure Finds"

The Yorkshire Numismatic Society is pleased to be hosting the 2013 joint meeting of the Royal Numismatic and the British Numismatic Societies. Traditionally this joint meeting is held in July in different parts of the country to allow non-London based members easier access to meetings. Further information on this year's event can be found here or by following the link under "events" in the right hand toolbar.

The meeting is being held at the same venue as the York Stamp and Coin Fair so there will be plenty of opportunities to acquire some new coins for your collections at the same time.

Further information is available here:

http://yorkshirenumismatic.blogspot.co.uk/p/special-events.html

Offline dafnis

• Consul
  • ad astra per aspera.
    • Numismática Antigua
Re: "Coin Hoards and Treasure Finds" July 2013 in York, UK
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 05:51:19 am »
Shoot....... would have been great as I live in Aberdeen, am a member of RNS and able to combine both meeting (nice topics up for discussion!) and fair....... what does not work is the date, since will be bathing in Spanish waters and sunshine at the time... oh well...

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 10:24:47 am »
"Coin Hoards and Treasure Finds"

The Yorkshire Numismatic Society is pleased to be hosting the 2013 joint meeting of the Royal Numismatic and the British Numismatic Societies. Traditionally this joint meeting is held in July in different parts of the country to allow non-London based members easier access to meetings. Further information on this year's event can be found here or by following the link under "events" in the right hand toolbar.

The meeting is being held at the same venue as the York Stamp and Coin Fair so there will be plenty of opportunities to acquire some new coins for your collections at the same time.

Further information is available here:

http://yorkshirenumismatic.blogspot.co.uk/p/special-events.html

Hi Lee

Sounds interesting and I'd like to go. On looking at the website I see no joining instructions - no email address, name or button to click? If you are the person compiling the list, please put me down for it!

Andrew

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:58:18 am »
Sorry Andrew, I missed your post. This problem is now rectified and details are on the blog link as above. I have made sure the organiser has your details. Looking forward to meeting up with you again.

Cheers

Lee

Offline Tony A

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 01:48:06 pm »
Leetoon -

A group of us in the Cleaning Discussion Section were discussing the possibility of organizing a "field trip" to the UK and teaming up with some local metal detectorists in the Summer of 2015. I think it would be very interesting to have the trip coincide with a major coin show. Do they plan events that far in advance or should we just wait for the announcement?

Any ideas?

Tony

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 02:17:37 pm »
Not specific dates yet but generally in the UK it works like this:

North - York in January and July plus Harrogate in March - monthly smaller events at Wakefield.

Central - Birmingham every three months - December, March, June, September plus smaller monthly events.

London - February, June, September, November plus monthly shows plus Coinex at the end of September/beginning of October.

I stand at most of the Northern events and every other year or so an event is organised to coincide with the York July show - you may get lucky if you decide to come our way in 2015! 

Lee

Offline Tony A

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 06:26:19 pm »
Thank you, leetoone!

I'll check the websites to see if they have an email list I can get on.

Do you happen to know how I could get information on the rules and regulations for metal detecting in the UK, especially in regard to bringing a find back home? I would hate to go and make a really good find and then run into customs problems or provenance issues, so I'd like to do some research before we start planning the trip. I've found a lot of references to rules and conditions, but nothing I could download and read for myself. Should I just contact the regional tourism departments? Are there dealers and collectors who coordinate with detectorists to accommodate interested visitors?

Yeah, it would be great to be able to include a coin show in the trip!

Thanks for your feedback, and I'd appreciate any comments or insight you may have to offer.

Tony

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 09:48:00 am »

Offline Tony A

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 04:38:47 pm »
Thank you!

It always helps to talks to someone who knows the ins-and-outs!

Tony

All coins are guaranteed for eternity