Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ae22 antioch pisidia to id ? julia domna ?  (Read 1146 times)

rick2

ae22 antioch pisidia to id ? julia domna ?
« on: January 29, 2013, 12:58:38 pm »
attributed to julia domna
but cant find a match on isegrim
i m starting to wonder whether its a different empress

the city is antioch in pisidia

reverse with woman standing with sceptre and altar

thanks

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: ae22 antioch pisidia to id ? julia domna ?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 12:17:03 pm »
Krzyzanowska p. 143 and pl. VI = BMC 18, pl. XXXI.5 has this rev. type for Commodus as Caesar:

GENIO COLO ANTIOCHI, Woman in long dress standing l., emptying cornucopia over altar at her feet and holding long scepter.

The obv. die looks like her VII of Julia Domna, pl. X, known to her with two other rev. types.
Curtis Clay

rick2

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 12:31:15 pm »
THANKS Curtis !

so in a nutshell this would be a new type with a reverse from commodus as caesar and an obvers for julia domna

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 12:49:32 pm »
Yes.

The rev. type also occurs for Antoninus Pius, with the more appropriate legend FORTVNA COLONIAE ANTIOCH, K. pp. 137-8, pl. II-III.

K. doesn't seem to list the same type for Domna or any other Severan family member.
Curtis Clay

rick2

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 01:09:06 pm »
many thanks !
i ll upload the coin on ww

i m glad is a new type !

bakkar

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 01:14:16 pm »

The obv. die looks like her VII of Julia Domna, pl. X, known to her with two other rev. types.

I think I have the Same obverse with a reverse type which Curtis means. !

Bakkar

rick2

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 01:25:46 pm »
thanks bakkar !

looks like an obverse die match

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 09:48:15 am »
I really believe that we need to be slower to be concerned or thrilled when we can not find exact matches for coins - especially Provincials.  There must be a million of them.  That does not mean that something is a unique survivor or will sell for an amount that should buy a house but simply that the people who made these changed details whenever they saw fit and made a situation hard to force in a comprehensive coin catalog.  I suspect most in existence are in low end collections or dealer back stock simply because they would hardly be worth publishing in a major sale catalog

I'll tack on a pair of related coins.  I have always loved the style of the Septimius just as much as I find the Domna clumsy.  Personal taste can be strange.   I've seen a few of these and usually they have been worn suggesting an issue that circulated a while.   I've not seen a die match for the Septimius obverse and would appreciate your posting a photo if you have a nicer one.

What is the status of RPC for Septimius?  Big book?

rick2

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 10:56:52 am »
doug

monetary value is the last of my concerns
the coin is not for sale and will not be for the next 40 years

my main concern was to try to get an id and if the coin is unpublished to add it to some kind of catalogue and make this available for future reference.

at the end of the day provincial are a pretty complex bunch and no complete reference catalogue exists yet

All coins are guaranteed for eternity