Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constans II or Arab-Byzantine1  (Read 548 times)

Offline novacystis

• Consul
Constans II or Arab-Byzantine1
« on: January 29, 2013, 05:38:03 am »
I think this one may be official, but I cannot find a good match.  On the obverse, the only part of the inscription I can make out is a final T (InPER CONST?) but that is inconsistent with the full length standing figure.  The reverse also has issues - Large m, star above, ANA left, NE sideways T right, IIO(not sure if it is an N or II) in ex.  Any help greatly appreciated.  22mm diameter.

Colin

Offline Posa

• Consul
Re: Constans II or Arab-Byzantine1
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 04:40:19 pm »
I don´t think of an official issue, because in the exergue there is something like IIoII, isn´t it? And on the right, where normally should be found the NEOS is, as you said, something else. This is both non-official.

best regards Posa

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 02:18:12 am »
It appears to be a arab-Byzantine imitative. Post conquest Imitative byzantine issues were assumed to be struck starting around 658 supposedly when the supply of imported coin dwindled. There is a huge variety from well struck to poor examples. Clive Foss has them identified at times as "close Imitations". Sometimes only differentiated by combinations of obverses and  reverses that do not do together in various combos.

cw

Offline novacystis

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 03:30:09 am »
Thanks.  I was starting to lean towards an imitative issue but was surprised by the workmanship. It seems better than a lot of the official issues.

Colin

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 08:49:27 am »
Yes I agree the style is rather good, but the combination is not consistent with any official mint and there are other imitative issues of equal quality, nice coin.

CW

All coins are guaranteed for eternity