Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: maybe a republican any help  (Read 572 times)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
maybe a republican any help
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:05:11 pm »

last week i visited the coin shop where i purchased my first coin i was not expecting to buy anything
     ooooooh dear silly me this coin was just soooooooo smooooth it just felt special and i decided to give it a home
     it is slightly concave 26mm wide and weighs 13.55gms and i love it
     i just enjoy this hobby and hope someone can help me
     thankyou for any help

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: maybe a republican any help
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 01:09:28 pm »
Search databases or books for AE 26s from Rhodos (Rhodes) / Caria plus criteria "head of Helios" / rose.

:branchesthreeleft:  :)  :branchesthreeright:

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 01:25:35 pm »
Similar to SNG Keckman 733 - 737.
Your coin seems to have symbol caduceus / kerykeion
to the left of rose.

Pekka K

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 01:35:27 pm »
Similar to SNG Keckman 733 - 737.
Your coin seems to have symbol caduceus / kerykeion
to the left of rose.

Pekka K

i have purchased some books to try and help but alas i have nothing for this era YET

pekka i can see the symbol you are referring to any information will be so gladly received as this is so out of my comfort zone

could you give me anymore information on keckman 733 - 737 i will be extremely grateful sorry to be such a pain THANKYOU

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 01:43:02 pm »
Winged Caduceus left, palm branch right. This variety is unlisted in Keckman and Karl. To help you further, your coin is a symbol variety of Sear's 5079. I guess you own Sear.

ISLANDS off CARIA, Rhodos. Rhodes. Circa 120-84 BC. Æ 27mm (16.13 g). Radiate head of Helios right / Rose; caduceus left, palm branch right. Cf. SNG Copenhagen 851-7 (different symbols); cf. SNG von Aulock 2834 (same). VF, green patina, surfaces a little rough. (Source: CNG)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 01:55:55 pm »

thankyou to Arminius Pekka and Rover for your great help i have been able to cross reference the number in my new greek coin book
     i will continue to research it as i would like to find out a little more so glad for your expertise   +++ +++

Offline rover1.3

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 11:28:28 am »
According to Ashton this is an emergency issue struck during the six month siege of Rhodos by Mithradates VI of Pontos (88 BC).
Such large bronzes of this type are associated with the late Rhodian silver plinthophoroi of Jenkins Group E (c. 88-84 BC) and probably replaced them due to the low quantities of silver supply during the siege.
As for the details, check Ashton's “Rhodian Bronze Coinage and the Siege of Mithradates VI” in NC 2001, an article I have missed so far ...

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 11:40:45 am »
According to Ashton this is an emergency issue struck during the six month siege of Rhodos by Mithradates VI of Pontos (88 BC).
Such large bronzes of this type are associated with the later Rhodian silver plinthophoroi of Jenkins Group E (c. 88-84 BC) and probably replaced them due to the low quantities of silver supply during the siege.
As for the details, check Ashton's “Rhodian Bronze Coinage and the Siege of Mithradates VI” in NC 2001, an article I have missed so far ...

oh rover this is just the most marvellous snippet of information and i am so excited to get on with the research
i have no idea how you would come across such details but i am thankful that you have WOW thankyou for your time

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 01:31:21 am »
A great find Helen!!! I am deeply jealous!!
 +++ +++ +++ +++ +++

Offline rover1.3

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 03:29:07 pm »
Such large bronzes of this type are associated with the later Rhodian silver plinthophoroi of Jenkins Group E (c. 88-84 BC) and probably replaced them due to the low quantities of silver supply during the siege.

oh rover this is just the most marvellous snippet of information and i am so excited to get on with the research
i have no idea how you would come across such details but i am thankful that you have WOW thankyou for your time

Here is some more information now that I have obtained the article.
A reference to your type is Ashton, Siege 11-21. R. Ashton lists 13 examples of this variety (Winged Caduceus-Palmbranch) from 4 obverse and 11 reverse dies. His catalogue is not intended to be a corpus so more dies and combinations are likely to be found around. Your example is unfortunately too worn to be able to identify the dies but nevertheless it remains interesting and nice (at least to me). The obverses of some of these large coins closely resemble the style of some of the obverses of the late, low weight Jenkins Plinthophoric Group E (c. 88-84 BC) AR Drachms. I believe that the same engravers were behind some of the dies in both series. The contemporarity of the late Plinthophoroi and these bronzes is also corroborated by their field symbols; there is a remarkable degree of overlap of the field symbols of these bronzes with the symbols on group E. The denomination of the large bronzes is uncertain, Ashton suggests they are either Trihemiobols or light-weight Diobols.

The rest are known from History: The crisis of 88 BC and the siege of Rhodes by Mithradates VI are described by Appian (see Appian, Mith. 24-27).
Characteristically, the siege is dramatically described in chapter 27, a fragment I used to accompany a write-up on a nice group E Drachm from my collection:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=80471.msg502571#msg502571

Appian, (Mith. 4.27)
"The Rhodians were most dismayed by the sambuca, which was moved against the wall where the temple of Isis stands. It was operating with weapons of various kinds, both rams and projectiles. Soldiers in numerous small boats circled around it with ladders, ready to mount the wall by means of it. Nevertheless the Rhodians awaited its attack with firmness. Finally the sambuca collapsed of its own weight, and an apparition of Isis was seen hurling a great mass of fire down upon it. Mithridates despaired of his undertaking and retired from Rhodes."

The events of 88 BC provide a plausible occasion for both the low weight group E plinthophoric AR Drachms and these large bronzes, an example of which you own now.
The shortage of silver due to the siege obliged the Rhodians to introduce the large bronzes during and immediately after it.

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 05:12:42 pm »

ROVER I stand and salute you I was gripped by every word you have found out. I purchased this coin as it has the most tactile feel of all my coins and YET as it turns out it comes with all this history. How fascinating and although the detail is not too good I will perhaps try some more light on it so we can get a better look. Thank you for your time I am just so happy what an amazing coin for my collection. Going back to read over your findings and try and take it in thank you for your expertise   +++ +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity