Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ERIC III  (Read 744 times)

Offline rasiel

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
  • I love this forum!
ERIC III
« on: January 16, 2013, 01:19:00 am »
For fans of Roman coins (and coin book nuts), I'm both happy and a little nervous to report that I have begun work on the third revision of the Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins.

The first ERIC was published eight years ago this month and was intended as a modern intro into the hobby. Its success (having eventually made the top ten list of most sought after out-of-print books in the U.S.) led to a chunky tome in ERIC II whose overarching goal was to list more or less the entire Roman Imperial and Byzantine corpus into one tidy square. Now after a couple of years worth of working on side projects and toying with my angle of attack, I think I'm now ready to sink my teeth into ERIC III.

After having collected hundreds of comments from the users I now think I have a fairly clear picture what it would take to make the "ultimate" Roman coin reference guide. The photography in the plates can be enlarged, upgraded with better specimens and more of the gaps filled all while boosting print resolution. Notes of numismatic interest and ancillary economic data can be added. The biographies can be expanded and the pricing data can be more sensitive and granular.

But the heart and business end of the book is its catalog. While ERIC II may have reached its goal of being comprehensive, I believe ERIC III's success depends on it being truly exhaustive. This is the area where I'll dedicate most of my efforts. I'm aiming to draw on a pool of no less than half a million coins - and probably as many as a million - and each carefully catalogued and referenced. That's why I'm a bit nervous, this is a staggering amount of data to sift through and I'm pretty well aware that it will take me several years of fulltime work to accomplish.

But boy if I'm successful we're gonna have one hell of a piece of work!

Please become involved. Send me your suggestions, your complaints and definitely all your "not-in-RICs". It's a lot easier to work in major changes near the beginning than halfway through.

Ras
rasiel at dirtyoldbooks.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity