Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Assistance with Cilician Armenian Coin (Hetoum I)  (Read 947 times)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Assistance with Cilician Armenian Coin (Hetoum I)
« on: January 14, 2013, 09:23:44 am »
My tentative attribution of this coin is Hetoum I, kardez (I assume that it is not a tank because it is only 24 mm in diameter), Sis mint.

I would appreciate it if anyone could confirm or correct my attribution, and any additional information, such as standard catalog reference numbers, date, etc., would be fantastic.

Thanks.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Assistance with Cilician Armenian Coin (Hetoum I)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 12:41:39 pm »
You are correct.  It is a Cilician Armenian Ae Kardez of Hetoum I.  There are several varieties with wedges, moons and doves in the crutches of the cross.  I do not have access to either Bedoukian or Nercessian to attribute specifically

Pogh_Poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:27:58 pm »
Thanks.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 01:28:48 pm »
They say "buy the book before the coin," but having just bought this and one other Cilician Armenian coin on impulse (they were very inexpensive) I am sufficiently intrigued that I ordered both Nercessian and Bedoukian.  So perhaps this will be the start of another branch of my collection(s)...

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:43:57 pm »
I enjoy these coins too.  I have a small hoard of these coins which I am slowly cleaning and cataloging with the help of the excellent references available
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:21:39 pm »
The books arrived and the two coins are now posted in my gallery under a new file that I created for Cilician Armenia.  I have always enjoyed buying unattributed coins and learning as I go...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity