Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greetings from Norway  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Trond

• Praetorian
Greetings from Norway
« on: May 10, 2013, 09:12:18 pm »
Hi.

I've been lurching around here for sometime, reading and studying this great forum.

Have recently posted a "before" post in the cleaning contest, so I tought the proper thing to do now, would be to introduce myself:

I am new to ancient coin collecting. I have allways been interessted in history, epic films, historic novels etc, so some ancient coins was  actually a gift idea  from my wife.

And I have to commit, I'm totally "lost", what a great hobby.

I have bought more history books and learned more history and geografi, than I tought possible already.

I have, of course, also bought some coins as a start, both expensive and unexpensive, cleaned and uncleaned, a microscope, scale, a gallon of olive oil, constructed a electrolyze bath, and to be honest, my wife could be regretting starting this interest of mine...  ;D

I'm a former engineer in Research and Development at a big University, disabled at 49 years age with a chronic Cluster headache, so it have also been great to find  something meaningful to fill my good days with.

As the subject states, am living in Norway, and I hope that will pardon my sometime uncorrect English. :)

Best wishes to everybody from:

Trond

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Greetings from Norway
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 09:30:14 pm »
Welcome to Forvm, Trond, and greetings from America!

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new hobby.  I hope you'll consider starting a gallery so we can see your coins, once you've aquatinted yourself with the site!

As a tip, be careful with electrolysis because you will strip the patina right off the coins, which in almost all cases is undesirable.

Nick

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 09:34:29 pm »
Welcome!

I can't say it any better than Molinari!

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 11:07:37 pm »
Welcome to one of the greatest hobbies in and of history!

Don't worry about your English as I bet few of us speak Norwegian (though I love lefse and ate a ton of it as a kid). 

Nobody is born knowing anything about ancient coins.  Learning is about 95% of the enjoyment of this hobby.  You can fill more than a day with this madness...you can fill a lifetime!

As for cluster headaches, I've had intermittently in my life.  It's one of the most painful things a human being can be subjected to so you have my well wishes.   Fortunately for me, I'm one of those that go through a few weeks of them and then they go away for several years. 

Chris

Offline Paddy

• Consul
  • Marcus Ulpius Traianus Maior
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 09:03:37 am »
Trond - I am a fellow scandinavian, and I am very happy at this forum. You have come to the right place to learn about ancient coins.

Welcome.

Offline Trond

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 07:20:13 pm »
Thank you for youre warm welcome,

and thanks for the tip about electrolyses. I have tried a couple of sollutions(NaCl and Na2CO3) and different voltages. Just testing on really cheap coins , and you are of corse right, it is not a very good way to clean coins, takes a lot of dirt, but off goes the patina as well.

Then I'm back to olive oil or destilled water, and patience, patience patience.........

As a comment to the virus and deasese: after reading history and handling coins for some days now I actually dreamt about getting the "Black Death" from these historic artifacts burried from before the big pandemi.
It was just a nightmare but certenly a sign that my mind even in sleep is occupied with my new hobby.  ;D

To Chris: sorry to here about youre CH even if you are a periodic, do you need any advice or tips about this, just give me a PM anytime.

And to Paddy: another Viking thats great.  :)

Trond

All coins are guaranteed for eternity