Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Metal detector hobbyists and cleaners ...  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Tony A

• Consul
Metal detector hobbyists and cleaners ...
« on: January 04, 2013, 07:03:15 pm »
Just a thought ....

We have several cleaners and dealers on here from Europe and the UK and I wonder what kind of relationships have developed between collectors/dealers and the various metal detector hobby clubs. Is there a great deal of interaction? Or do the hobbyists generally go their own way? I've seen some excellent cleaning restoration projects on various posts and websites - and quite a few that were horrible!

I'm asking because I was talking to my wife the other day and was telling her how much fun it would be a fun vacation to hook up with some detector hobbyists and try to discover a coin or Roman artifact or two. Cleaning skills might be a good "in" with these groups, too.

Maybe a group of us could take a vacation to the UK or Europe and look for our own coins and artifacts ... And if someone had experience with booking and travel arrangements, it could even be an interesting sideline. Where are you, Kevin?

Any thoughts on this out there?

Tony

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Re: Metal detector hobbyists Trip to the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:48:01 pm »
Ave!

Tony, that sounds like a very cool idea, amigo. NRC has a number of contacts with various Metal Detectorist Clubs in the UK and my awesome spouse, Sheri the Travel Agent, could put together all the travel details for all interested in the plan. We can't go this year as we have already booked our vacation time. But for 2014? We're open as of now and you can count us in.

So, if anyone is interested for a 2014 metal-detecting vacation to the UK in 2014, let us know. As this may be a long-time thread, perhaps the moderator could make this a 'sticky'?

Perhaps we can ask Joe S, our host here on Forum, to join along? How cool would that be, huh?

Best to all.

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Metal detector hobbyists and cleaners ...
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:12:37 am »
Very neat idea. 

It might be interesting to look at trying to visit some other countries in Europe as well. 

Though the UK is clearly the easiest for this from a legal/regulatory pespective detecting is also legal in some other European countries though the laws regarding what is done with the finds varies.  For example, even in countries where finds have to be left for inspection with local authorities and then, if released, require an export permit this could perhaps be handled by any local club members with whom the tour partners and could be sent on after.

For example, though I have never gone detecting in Austria from what I understand of the regulations you can detect on land that is privately owned and not in a declared "archeological zone", with the land owner's permission.  To be fully legal you then turn the finds in to some government office (I am not sure which).  You then get them back if they do not rule them as a state find - this is apparently not as clearly defined as in UK Treasure Act but the concept is similar.  A hoard or some important precious metal coins may be taken (though I heard from one person, a government official, that if it was found on private land and not an archeological zone then there was no way the state could legally take it) but in any event individual Roman bronze finds will be returned unless you happen to get a Regalianus or Dryantilla-type coin.  You then apply separately for export of the coins/items.

Not completely sure of the regulations but perhaps there are clubs in France, Germany, Austria, Netherlands, etc. that you could hook up with.

Combine it with (non-detecting) visits to some nearby historical sites and museums and you would have an awesome holiday.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 06:16:00 pm »
Ave!

Shawn, et al, I'm just thinking UK...7-10 days max. If we stay outside London, it will keep the cost low, but perhaps a day-trip to London to visit a museum or two?

Kevin

Offline Bdsn

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 12:02:53 pm »
This sounds like a great trip, I would be very interested to learn more.  I have never used a metal detector before, it would be exciting.  Plus I will be about due for a proper vacation around that time.  I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Justin

Offline Tony A

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 10:41:17 pm »
I think I may have something here! Call it "Collectors on the Continent" or "Cleaners in the Weeds."

I don't know if we can afford it by 2014, but ... you never know! And if I'm not mistaken, sellers/dealers might be able to write the thing off as a business expense. (Pass out a few business cards and claim you're meeting with new suppliers or doing business research. I could be worth a try.)

Kevin - Maybe Sheri could arrange a sidetrip to the coast where you could do some underwater archeology! Probably not Greece or Italy, but there's a lot of coastline in Europe.

Gotta go, folks

Tony

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:03:38 am »
Ave!

Tony, the only place on the Continent that Sheri and I have ever considered diving is Turkey. Hundreds of small coves all up and down the coast, filled with ancient wrecks.

But for this 1st time, just the UK. ;-) FYI - Sheri's already done some investigating and there are tour operators in the UK who actually do metal-detecting tours. Who knew!

Best,

Kevin

Offline Tony A

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 02:38:35 pm »
Already tour operators in the UK? Damn! I knew it was too good an idea for me to have thought of it first! (I wonder if there are any licences or export/import restrictions we should consider? I'll send a few emails and see if they can send us something.)

Jill and I will shoot for 2015! (If I get "Christian Artifacts" up and running it should pay for the vacation and provide a write-off for taxes - as a business related expense and all that, you know.  ;))

Anyone else out there think this is a good idea?

Tony

Joe1226

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 07:25:54 pm »
Last spring I took a trip with a group of americans to East Anglia, near The Wash( a bay where supposedly King John lost the crown jewels) in England to do some detecting. A few people found roman coins, one person found a beautiful Saxon zoomorphic brooch, and another found an absolutely beautiful iron age Celtic bracelet that we later saw similiar ones in the British Museum!

Unfortunately i didn't find that good of stuff, but everyone found some hammered silver coins, and a few found late roman coins(i got a constantius II follis)
Tons of buttons, too.

I can't post pics yet as the finds are still in England, but they'll be arriving in a week hopefully  +++
 The people I went with were Roy & Mark, here's their web address:
http://metaldetectingtours.com/

Good Luck! I'll probably try to go back in a couple years, it was a great experience.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity