Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Divo Tito  (Read 20274 times)

Offline qblay

• Praetorian
Re: Divo Tito
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2005, 02:01:35 pm »
Hello again,

I'm trying to get a picture of the Divi coins in the Plevna's hoard. I thing may be interesting, they are two of the first Divi coins produced. They are reported as Nerva and Trajan coins, but the plate XIX shows 4 Divi coins restoring Vespasian, Trajan, Hadrian and Alexander Sev.!!!??? Any idea ?

Many thanks, Curtis for your help to get the pictures from ANS, I'm just ending their study.

Regards

Joaquim

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2005, 03:12:07 pm »
     In connection with the Plevna hoard, Mattingly attempted to reconstruct the coinage of Trajan Decius, and to identify what particular style of obverse portrait was used in each officina.
     The illustrations to his article, pl. XVIII-XIX, are all cited in connection with this reconstruction.  Apparently the coins illustrated are not Plevna coins at all, but BM coins!  Apart from the four illustrated Divi coins which did not occur in the hoard, note pl. XIX.1-5 with Decius' latest obverse legends, which were also totally absent in the hoard.  I suspect Joachim will find that the four Divi coins illustrated in the article are BM coins that are still in the collection today.
     It is a little confusing that Mattingly does not specify that the illustrated coins are NOT from the hoard, and that he does not tell us what happened to the hoard coins, only that they were "examined and noted at the British Museum."  I would presume that the coins belonged to a collector or dealer and that Mattingly compiled a written catalogue of them only, without making plaster casts or photos of them.  When he came to write his article on the hoard, he could therefore only use BM coins to illustrate his points!
Curtis Clay

Offline Marius

• Consul
    • 249-253AD  Four Bad Years
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2006, 03:41:32 am »
Hi Joaquim,
Here is the DIVO NERVAE from a recent find (3.8 grams).  There was at least one other DIVI coin in the hoar; a Severus Alexander.
Best regards,
Richard
Richard Marius Beale
Four Bad Years:  http://sonic.net/~marius1/mysite/

Offline qblay

• Praetorian
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2006, 02:51:49 pm »
Here you are my web on Divi Series.

http://www.qblay.com/DiviSeries/

Any comment (and new pictures) will be appreciated

Regards

Joaquim

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2006, 01:40:17 pm »
Hi Joaquim

VERY interesting site you have built. I've not already been through all the pages, but what I've seen is incredibely interesting.
BRAVO !!

Potator

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2006, 12:04:11 pm »
Hello everybody and especially Joaquim,

Here's a Divo Commodo that I just brought home from the Munich coin show. I looked up the dies in your database, some (30, 35) are very similar to this one, but I'm not sure I found this die. Maybe it's new to you?

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline qblay

• Praetorian
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2006, 03:49:04 am »
Nice coin.
The obverse die is CO07, and the reverse is A120
In the British Museum there is a coins with both dies coincidence.
Congratulations for your new coin

Regards

Joaquim

www.qblay.com/DiviSeries

Offline qblay

• Praetorian
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2006, 04:07:46 am »
One more thing...

I've been noticed that in July 2003 an interesting coin was sold on Ebay by an american seller 5empires (not yet active)

Obverse: IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG, radiate bust of Decius to right.

Reverse: CONSECRATIO, lighted altar.

The only picture available is poor.

Does anyone have notice or a quality picture of this coin?

Perhaps the seller is a Forum member

Any information will be appreciated

Joaquim Blay

Offline Marius

• Consul
    • 249-253AD  Four Bad Years
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2006, 02:29:43 am »
Robert Salati, who has written many web page article con coins for Roth37 (http://www.roth37.it/COINS/GENERAL_INDEX/index.html) told me an interesting idea he had about the DIVI series.

He brought up the point that throughout the early life of Decius, the circulation of coins depicting earlier emeperors would have been common, especially coins the Antonines.  These coins were all driven from use by the debasement of the silver coinage and replacement of the denarius with the antoninianus.  Of course it is pure speculation, but seeing these portraits removed from commerce only to be replaced by Gordian and Philip must have felt like a loss - these newer emperors could never match up to Marcus Aurelius, Antoninus, and Trajan.  Perhaps this was part of Decius' motive.  Perhaps Decius felt the removal of Rome's forefathers from contemporary commerce was another symptom or cause of declining virtue, and that he wanted to restore these good men's faces to common use.

Richard
Richard Marius Beale
Four Bad Years:  http://sonic.net/~marius1/mysite/

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2006, 02:34:31 pm »
      Robert S. is on the right track, but as I have already stated the occasion of the Divi series was much more specific:  Decius' decision late in his reign to restrike all availabe denarii in circulation into antoniniani.
      As had happened several times in the past, a recoinage was accompanied by by a restored coinage in order to preserve the memory of the old types and old emperors whose coins were disappearing.
Curtis Clay

Offline qblay

• Praetorian
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2008, 01:03:19 pm »
Hello friends,

I've just implemented a search tool in my data base DiviSeries.

You can test it in my web    http://www.qblay.com/DiviSeries/English/index.html

It's the most useful way I can give you to access as you want to the data base.

Try it and tell me. I'm looking forward for your comments.

Best regards.

Joaquim Blay

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2008, 08:12:03 am »
Hi,

If of any use, I put here the link to my own collection of the "DIVI series". Most of them are illustrated on Joaquim's website

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=216

Regards
Potator

All coins are guaranteed for eternity